Amazing ideas for projects here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jskeen

jskeen

A couple of days ago I made this spin top for my eldest spawn (7) and somewhat to my surprise he was quite taken with it. It was really just a prototype, and had some issues, but it does work pretty well. I may do a mark 2 sometime, if it warms up in the shop. But anyway, I was poking around the web the other night looking for ideas, and ran across this page. Pretty much spend the rest of the night glued to the computer with my mouth hanging open thinking "wow, that's fantastic" I've never seen a collection of wood objects that combine simplicity and genius so many different ways. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Now I know that lots of us have kids (ok, well more probably have grandkids) and really NEED an excuse to make them more wooden stuff, so.....

http://www.naefspiele.ch/index.php?id=66&L=1

look this stuff over and see what you can come up with. I can't wait to see what some of the brilliant segment artists here could do with some of these designs. I can already see one piece in my future, but instead of painting it different colors, I am going to try to use different woods for each piece to get the gradient color effect. I'm thinking holly, maple, oak, cherry, mahogany, walnut, wenge, and ebony? We'll just have to see.

Anyway, here's my humble prototype that got me here. Sorry for the picture, took it with my cell phone.

Attachments

• IMG00008-20110111-0947.jpg
    IMG00008-20110111-0947.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 240

JimMc7

Cool! Thanks for the link. Much more interesting than making replacement knobs for routers.

Great job on the top, too.

IPD_Mrs

he was quite taken with it.

Kinda makes it all worth while. You get to do something you enjoy and it makes it that much more enjoyable when they react that way.

Thank you for sharing your story and the link. Although I still have Spawn of James stuck in my head. :devil:

Top Bottom