Alumillite setting way to fast...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redneckmedic

I've read info that in the cooler climates warm PR and Alumillite and molds helps it set fast, and more evenly.

Has anyone tried to cool it down to slow it down? I'm getting a constant working time if about 3-3 1/2 mins tops before its too thick to pour at all. :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I also know my friend said she was having problems when she casts in her garage and it is 80 degrees. Alumilite clear sets from heat. When you mix the 2 sides together. That is why when you mix a thin puddle of alumilite it takes way longer to fully set than say if you mixed a pen blank. Because it did not have the same amount of heat. So if you go into cooler temps it will probably set slower.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, you can put the Alumilite in your refrigerator and get more open time. I do it frequently in the summer here in Texas. It will make it thicker and a little harder to stir, though. I keep both A and B in the fridge when I am doing a lot of casting and need the longer time.

As James said my Clear B was becoming thick/gloppy when pouring and that's when I noticed an issue... I was trying to just cast clear and it came out milky white then finally a solid white. I am storing my Clear A and Clear B and both of my White A and White B inside from now on during our hot temperatures! Today I made a Crystal Clear blank and had no trouble with "globby" or "thick" on the Clear B and the blank turned out the way it was suppose to!

As he stated my garage was in the 80's to 90's as well.

wayneryan65

Same Problem with the heat in Texas... Water Clear was fine on first pour and after that it got thick and started to Gel in globs. Put it in the house which is 70 degrees and that didnot help. Next Gallon I kept it in the fridge and topped it off with a blast of nitrogen before replacing the lid. Wahlah that did the trick.

Top Bottom