Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looking for a little advise, I just used Alumilite for the first time. For my Molds I used 3/4" Plastic Electrical Conduit, the problem I have is that the Blanks do not seem to want to release from the mold, any suggestions?

Thank You in advance, Derrick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
My suggestion is to not use pipe for your mold in the future! Alumilite does not shrink like PR and as such, it does not pull away from the pipe and allow it to slip out. You can try beating it out but I have even had limited success with that. I ended up turning off the pipe portion and never going back to pipe!

HamTurns

I use pvc dwv pipe for casting Alumilite. But what I do is to cut an 1/8" slot down one side of the 1.5"x6" pipe with a table saw holding the pipe with a clamp.

Then I make a hole in a board just big enough to get the pipe into, while collapsing the slot, this holds the pipe/mold vertically to go into the pressure pot and closes the gap so it won't leak.

When I use this I put vasaline in the slot (to seal it when closed) and spray the inside of the pipe with Stoner mold release. I apply more vasaline to the wood in the bottom of the mold, then plug the pipe in. Towards the top I put a hose clamp on it to close the gap.
Then it's ready to go.

After the first time you use this method the pipe won't spring open any longer because of the heat during your last mold set, but the slot still opens easily with a screw driver and the castings slide right out.

I prep the mold the same way for the next casting and they continue to slip right out.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Top Bottom