Almost Planned First Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dgelnett

I have been read and learning from this site for the past couple of months and getting inspired to try different things when making a pen. What really looks like fun is make my own castings with PR. The first picture is my first try when I almost had a plan. I read in the library about making my own color ribbons to place into a PR mold (that was my plan). I tried making several different colored ribbons but had a few problems catching it before it was too hard or getting a well blended color throughout the ribbon. I did not want to waste anything so I threw it all in the mold, the good, the bad and the ugly (this was not the plan). I used a black PR to hide as much of the ugly ribbons as possible.
Ends up I like it but the problem is trying to duplicate it.

The second pen is a by product of the first pen. Noticed when starting to drill out the middle of the blank a curly flower looking snake came out for the first half inch. Collected those scraps and placed them in this pen with a white tube to show all the colors.

Maybe next I should learn to take a good picture.

Thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• Picture 070 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 070 (Medium).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 072 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 072 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 201

ctubbs

Dave, don't you just love it when a disaster turns to beauty? Congratulations on the rescue on the black pen and then catching the shavings to make that beautiful second pen. Now if you could only make a second one.
Charles

Top Bottom