Air

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

Currently I am using a small, twin tank, LOUD air compressor to clean up dust from small turnings as I work. I want to use something else that takes up less space and is quiet and not an overkill like mine.
Years ago I had a Craftsman compressor -no tank- that worked well at this. It died in its old age. They don't make it anymore.

Does anyone know of something small and quiet I can buy? Also, I am not sure of the PSI to look for.

Thanks in advance.
Happy 2014.

Carmen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Carmen I would HIGHLY recommend some sort of 'removal' equipment rather than an air compressor to clean out your turnings... An air compressor will remove the wood dust and shavings from your turning, but leave the dust floating in the air...where you breath!!!! My suggestions are, at a minimum, a shop vacuum w/a HEPA filter, then a simple & inexpensive 20" X 20" box fan w/filter, then a shop air filtration system, then a external shop exhaust system...to protect you...plus at least a 'Dust Be-Gone' mask or better... Since I couldn't afford all at once, I've added each one at a time, until I feel more comfortable... I'm sure there are better solutions out there, soooo I'm sure other more experienced turners will advise... Safe turning to you this New Year!!!

sbwertz

I use canned air. I have a big 80 gallon air compressor that I use to do sanding at the lathe with a little air tool grinder converted to a 1" sander (and for spray painting and other air tools). But for just cleaning out turnings, I just use canned air. That way I don't have to have the compressor turned on except when I need it. (You can also get refillable cans that you air up with the air compressor. You can use them for canned air, or, like I do, for accelerator for the CA.) Here is a link to the kind of can I use. Amazon has them too, but at twice the price of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380783508329?lpid=82

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I bought a Sil-Air 6 gallon a little over a year ago and love it. Not the highest capacity or lowest cost by any means but very quiet and small footprint. About 40db. Usually can't tell if its running.

frank123

You could always just get a Nitrogen or CO2 cylinder. Not that expensive -about the same as a compressor- and provides quite a bit of compressed air equivalent with no compressor noise at all.

You do have the occasional expense of refilling them, but it isn't as much as you'd think. Get the largest cylinder that is practical, refilling a large one is not much more expensive than refilling a small one.

CO2 has the additional advantage or disadvantage as you see it of providing a cold "air" stream which can be useful sometimes where you need a coolant for machining (drilling, etc,) but don't want to use a liquid. It can also present a problem at times as well. Get a regulator as well, the gas is under really high pressure.

brownsfn2

I got a California Air Tools Ultra Quiet compressor with a 6 gallon tank from Amazon for around $200. It is the quietest compressor I have owned. I work in the basement and I forget to turn it off and sometimes it kicks on and you can barely hear it from the floor above. I love it. Totally recommend it.

Top Bottom