Afzelia burl and AWESOME cocobolo burl! (a turning process)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Here is my last two pieces of those woods. The afzelia is less spectacular than the previous ones I posted.

I am still waiting on the kits to arrive but I figured I could post some pictures of the process doing those two Aero pens.

For those who are curious I am using John Goodin's delrin bushings, first time trying them and already totally satisfied! :)

As I said before, this afzelia is not stabilized and is really a pain to turn, here is how it looks like turned with sharp tools!

This is with sanded/turned to bushing using 600 grit sandpaper and fine layers of CA.

And finished! :)

Here is the cocobolo burl sanded to the bushings, obviously that burl is much more denser.

And finished, the finish on this one is really nice. :)

Thanks for looking,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Your CA finish looks fantastic! Could you post how you do it? I wish mine shined that good cosistantly.

Thanks for any tips,
Steve

CharlesH

Hey Steve,

Here is a few pointers of what work for me.

You need to build up a good coat of CA, my lathe turning at ~1500 RPM.

I usually go by feeling. Many CA layers, I alternate with thin and medium. I usually go with at least 5 thin to start then 5 medium at that point I sand with 1500 MM to even the finish.

Usually the end of the blank will sand faster than the rest of the blank, so if your missing CA glue on the tips of the ends, you have to refinish your blank with many coats (don't need to sand everything), I usually go wtih at least 10 coats thin and so on. When my finish is even on all the blank, I sand through all the grits at the same speed. Make sure you have CLEAN or new MM sandpapers. (lesson learned)

For the final step I go with plastic polish with the lathe running at 4000 RPM. I apply the plastic polish with shop towels and I usually buff with paper towel. I do that about 4-5 times.

Sometimes it is harder, sometimes easier, depending of my mood, the humidity, the wood, etc. :)

Charles

Your CA finish looks fantastic! Could you post how you do it? I wish mine shined that good cosistantly.

Thanks for any tips,
Steve

Whaler

Beautiful blanks and a fantastic finish. I have started using those bushings from John for finishing and sure like them.

Top Bottom