Advice on hand guns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

I second the advice of renting...especially for your wife. I did and am glad I did, with my arthritis I ended up with a completely different gun then I had in mind. Oh and of course practice drills and target shooting together is fun.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I live out in the country where shooting wouldn't be a major problem, matter of fact, there's shooting all around me one some days... maybe people getting ready for hunting season, or just plinking. I don't own, nor do I ever intend to own a gun. The last time I did much shooting was in my teen years when a box of .22 ammo cost about $0.50. Don't know about prices today. (BTW, I'm just a few years younger than Smitty)... And I think the last firearm I fired was a .45 off the fantail of the ship to "qualify" as a second class petty officer.... I'm pretty sure I hit my target, which was the Pacific ocean. There was a weather balloon up behind the ship and I was told to aim at that, but it was a known fact that one could rarely puncture those big soft rubber ballo0ns... but at least, according to my naval records, I'm a qualified marksman with an M1 and the .45... although I have never in my life fired an M1..(I was absent on range day in boot camp - I had a dental appointment and wasn't allowed to skip it.)
Ifired the 45 into the Atlantic Ocean. And, it was Long Rifle .22 cal shells that cost .50 a box, shorts were cheaper.

Lots of really good advice has already been given, so I'll keep my blurb shorter than it would normally be. I'm going to assume(I know...)that neither of you has a significant amount of experience with firearms and base my advice on that assumption. I would strongly agree with those who suggested considering a double-action revolver, and would suggest that Ruger and Smith & Wesson are reliable brands to consider. In spite of the popularity of semi-autos, revolvers are less complicated, more easily mastered, highly reliable with a minimum of upkeep required and with aftermarket grips (which are abundant) can be "customized" to fit a wide variety of hand sizes relatively inexpensively. In general, a .38 special or .357 magnum revolver can be fed a wide variety of ammo, from light target rounds which are much more comfortable to shoot to more powerful "defensive" loads. Personally, I .think a 2.5" or 4" barrel length is ideal; avoid the 2" "snub nosed" revolvers Some may argue, but IN GENERAL, semiautos area bit pickier about the ammo you use. BY ALL MEANS take some time to handle and preferably shoot several different guns and see what feels right for each of you. Avoid gimmicks, "tactical" features, etc. and try not to be swayed by "this is what the cops carry". Evaluate each one you try on how it fits your specific situation. As others have offerred: if you have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer them. Garrett

robertkulp

I have a Springfield XDM Compact .40SW and love it. It's a double stack, but fits smaller hands fairly well. I also recommend the Springfield XDS 9mm. It's a single stack and much smaller, but still very easy to shoot. Similar to the XDS is the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm, but about $100 less. My dad has a Ruger LC9 and really likes it, too.

Find a gun range that will let you rent various models. Also, check to see how easy it is to field strip and clean the gun. Do you need special tools? What if you lose that tool? How crisp is the trigger? How much over-travel is there! What is the reset for subsequent shots? How easy/inexpensive is it to modify the gun to improve any of these factors?

There are many more questions, but these will get you started. Good luck & practice regularly.

PTsideshow

By all means find a local gun range and rent a number of guns and fire them, both you and your wife. Both the recoil and noise might shock you depending on caliber.

Since you both are planning on conceal carry, there is more than gun control and licensing requirements you should be aware of. The legal aspects of evening pulling it are some thing to consider. Never change your carry guns with new springs and triggers or other hop up items. The prosecutors generally have a field day with it. Same as hand loading your own ammo, another area that they will pounce on.

Use store bought ammo, that the specs can and will be checked against lot numbers.
A great site for your wife is here Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.
anything by [FONT=arial,helvetica]Massad Ayoob [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]his The Gravest Extreme is still a great read on the subject. He is the legal defense gun and CC expert. https://shopayoob.omegacomminc.com/...q=16654672&tokns=passed&pagename=About Massad

Handgunlaw.us another good one gives info on the laws in your state.

Not to be a downer but these are a couple you should be aware of
https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Here is all the myths in one place and an interesting read
Gun Facts - Debunking Gun Control Myths

Personal Defense Network - expert training videos and classes

And if the don't show them in your area Glocks TV commercials with the Gunny!
They have a bunch of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2gCFOtaZPo

The only other thing is when somebody gets shot they don't go down like in the movies and TV, you may have to double or triple tap em. And don't let them get to close, it is truly amazing how fast a human can cover 21 feet!

Be safe, don't broadcast that you are a gun person, by plastering it on your car or truck. Only pull it if you intend to use it!

And remember The most often quoted line in Concealed Carry " I carry a gun, because a cop is to heavy"
:wink:
[/FONT]

Russ Hewitt

I carry both a Kahr MP9 in 9mm and a Ruger LCP in .380. I carry both in a "pocket" holster. I previously considered the .380 to be a toy round, but they now make a variety of .380 rounds designed for personal protection that are very effective.

The advice to handle and shoot the gun prior to buying is spot on.

IMHO after 26 years as a street cop including time in SWAT.

plantman

I carry both a Kahr MP9 in 9mm and a Ruger LCP in .380. I carry both in a "pocket" holster. I previously considered the .380 to be a toy round, but they now make a variety of .380 rounds designed for personal protection that are very effective.

Russ; THANK YOU for serving in the "true" homeland security system. The officer on the street is really our first line of defense !! If your presence isn't seen, heard, and felt this country would be back in the "Old Wild West" days ruled by the meanest, fastest bad a$$ people out there. Thank you again !!! Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Russ; THANK YOU for serving in the "true" homeland security system. The officer on the street is really our first line of defense !! If your presence isn't seen, heard, and felt this country would be back in the "Old Wild West" days ruled by the meanest, fastest bad a$$ people out there. Thank you again !!! Jim S
It is highly tempting to add to this, but very difficult without getting into political things. Suffice to say the "cop on the beat", as we used to call them, has not seen the job get any easier over the years.....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Information overload

Roy, I'll bet you never imagined that there could be so much information concerning what seems to be a pretty simple question. I assume you're a pretty smart guy and will be able to filter the information. When I got my first hand gun permit (which covered open and concealed carry) it was much easier, even in NY which had about the toughest hand gun laws in existance at the time.

hcpens

Check with your state, if you train on a revolver, then that's all you can carry so train on semi auto, so you can carry either one.

tomtedesco

On duty I carried a Sig P226 and a Sig P230 for off duty carry. Still carry the P230 every day but if neither you or your wife has any handgun experience you may want to look at a revolver. Some people have a hard time remembering there is still a round in the chamber with the mag removed. There are no extra motions (safety or de-cocker) required with a revolver it is truly a point and shoot weapon. Check out both at your range.

plantman

Take her and let her decide what she likes. Let her make decisions. Let her handle the different styles. Let her shoot them and let her decide what she likes. Then after deciding on what she likes, take her to the range and let her shoot her gun. See, the key is her and her decision. I don't care how much you spend, what brand you buy...if she is not happy, she will not take it.

A range that will offer different guns to shoot and helpful suggestions/instruction is best.

Ownership is everything. If she owns it, then she will carry it. If she thinks it's "Your gun", then in time it will sit in a drawer/safe ect anyplace other than with her and you have defeated the reason for gun ownership.

That is a very good point !! If it is registered in her name, it is her gun, and she is more likely to be interested in shooting it !! Now if you order it in pink, it will really be her gun. Don't snicker, I have seen them and the owners are very proud of them. It's not how mean the dog looks, it's how deep he can bite !! Jim S
The only problem I see with that is that potential assailants might mistake it for something else rather than a gun, and while a gun would stop them a compact or cell phone or any of the many other items she might have in pink won't.

Smitty; Is that not the meaning behind concealed ?? It's not supposed to look like you are carrying a weapon !! Believe me, when these lady's bring out their pink 1911's at the range, there is no mistaking them for a compact or cell phone !! Almost everything you can carry has been made into some type of shooting device, even the lowly fountain and ball point pen. Jim S

OKLAHOMAN

Well after taking all the advise given here and elsewhere, Dee and I have been visiting our local indoor range and gun shop. They have been very helpful and we were able to rent some hand guns and get the feel for them. Dee has bad arthritis and they tried some revolvers and a few semi automatic's.
The Sig Sauer P238 was the easiest for her to load and shoot, she really enjoyed shooting it.
I on the other hand I liked the Smith and Wesson Shield 9MM but I also liked the Sig.
Of course the Sig uses 380's and the S&W 9MM and the S&W is almost $350 less.
So the difference in price would more than make up for the cost of ammo.
Our Shop has the S&W on sale for $399 and the Sig that she likes is $750, as she liked the tactical feel of the Rosewood grips. So it looks like that is what we'll end up with, I'll most likely purchase the S&W tomorrow and see if I can find the Sig for her a little cheaper.

Last edited:

Rockytime

Faye and I have had our CC permits for about three years. Colorado is quite liberal with permits. We have two S&W snub nose airweight revolvers and I have a Taurus .22 with the flip up barrel. I am taking my wife to a local range next week for hands on instruction. She has never fired a handgun and I am hardly a qualified instructor. We do not carry but as home invasions become more frequent I think some protection is advisable. Fortunately Colorado has "Make My Day" laws. Denver is off limits to handguns but outside of that things are fairly reasonable for carrying. Weak hand and wrist strength prohibit me from using a semi-auto. Only time I carry is when riding my bike alone on the highway and then I carry the little .22. It is tiny and is deadlier than a sharp stick. Otherwise it remains at home.

Cmiles1985

Might I suggest budsgunshop.com? The P238 there is around $670. I'm not sure what transfer fees are in OK. Here in TX, you have the gun shipped to your local FFA, pay somewhere between $35 and $50, they file the paperwork, and you're on your way.

Top Bottom