Adjustable dies: A Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

The adjustable die has a screw crossing the slit in order to make minute adjustments to the die. Every one I've ever seen has the hole tapped all the way through both sides of the slit, so that turning the screw closes the gap.

The M10 x .5 (made in Japan) I am looking at right now is not tapped all the way through the other side, and does not close the gap. Rather the screw pushes against the other flange opening the gap, and it doesn't appear to open it much. Is this a defective die? Or is it made that way intentionally, and thus I must start out by opening the die more, and then work my way in by releasing the screw tension so the die moves inwardly?

What gives?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If both sides were threaded, the die wouldn't move. Tightening the screw opens the die as it pushes against the side. It also could be that on some the hole where the screw is is not threaded but has a stop. For those, the die would close when tightened.

Last edited:

DozerMite

Banned
The ones I've used, are threaded on the opposite side of the screw and pulls the die together and expands when loosened.

Kaspar

Good question. The screws on the die holder can pin it, with the screw preventing it from being collapsed any further, but in that case, I'd worry about whether it's centered in the die holder.

Kaspar

If both sides were threaded, the die wouldn't move. Tightening the screw opens the die as it pushes against the side. It also could be that on some the hole where the screw is is not threaded but has a stop. For those, the die would close when tightened.

Ah, that's funny. Yes, of course. Well, I am slow, but once I get something, I really get it. :biggrin: I just always assumed the receiving side was tapped and the holding side wasn't, but I see now the above is how they all work.

rherrell

Don't even mess with the screw, leave it just touching the other side. Besides, if you open it too much it won't fit in the die holder. The die holder has three set screws that will keep it from opening up on you.
Personally, I don't like the adjustable dies, I have a couple complete sets of the non-adjustable ones (sae and metric) and don't even mess with the adjustable ones.

Top Bottom