Acrylic Carbide Tool Handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from endacoz

endacoz

This time I decided to make another tool handle but from acryclic instead of wood.

I ordered a few 1.5" round by 5.5 inch PR Blanks from Slabs Blanks and Boards - Slabs Blanks and Boards IAP SDB777

My first large blank from them turned into this beautiful handle!

The Radius Carbides are from IAP member wood-of-1kind They are SHARP!!!!

I did learn a lot during this Large NON WOOD turn! And I had such a blast and enjoyment working on this! The Bar sticks out just over 3 inches from the handle and is glued in 3 inches into the handle. Yes this is a small tool and will use it probably only on pens or doing small details with a ROUND cutter on it. :) I am pumped this came out the way it did. Can't wait to turn more.

I only used Carbide Cutters (except to part it off the lathe)
Sanded to 2k then I used Dr. Kirks Red White Blue 3 step polish.

The pictures are not edited at all, only cropped to a size that I can upload

Attachments

• DSCN8670 (2).jpg
    DSCN8670 (2).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN8673 (2).jpg
    DSCN8673 (2).jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN8677 (2).jpg
    DSCN8677 (2).jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN8678.jpg
    DSCN8678.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN8679.jpg
    DSCN8679.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

It's always fun seeing the 'children' get turned and dressed up, but this is my first time seeing one as a tool handle! Guess my out of the box thinking just got expanded a lot more.

Thanks for sharing the results!

Scott (it's awesomenessingerly) B

BSea

Now that is very cool. Scott & I wondered what you were going to make from those blanks. That's a very cool idea! :cool:

Now you have me thinking of something a little larger.:glasses-nerdy:

stonepecker

After seeing and handle-ing this little tool.......I can safely say tat it is oneof a kind. NOT for everyone as it is small and in my opinion 'front' heavy. A smaller bar and cutter? 'loading the handle' might make a difference. But then I also think that for the right person.......it could be perfect.

The blank it self was out of this world for color and depth. Amazing work on the pour. And Ethan's finish was perfect no matter what he says.

My biggest scare would be in dropping this tool. Wood handles get abused. I have seen what some turners can do. This is a handle you would want to treat with kid gloves.

But that is just my opinion.

Top Bottom