Acrylic #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

solobiker

Here is my second attempt at turning acrylic. I am pretty happy with how it looks and I am sure I will find a home for it. I do wish however that I would have made the body of it a little smaller.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

solobiker

Sorry..I forgot the pic.

Attachments

• DSCN9947.jpg
    DSCN9947.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 232

Jim Burr

Banned
Learning curve Susan. IMHO...that pen should be half the thickness...but the thinner you go, the more scared you get starting out! Look at Close-out sections of on-line retailers for cheap blanks to practice on.
Got a tip today about reverse painting...another consideration, that I'm not sure I'm allowed to share yet. Using standard turning tools...use a gouge on a shear cut profile for acrylics...skews works well too, but they have a different learning curve. My mom can use a carbide and she's in the loony bin. Learn how to turn...not just be a tube turner.
I'm casting some acrylic in a couple days...have at 'em!

stonepecker

Susan. Your finish looks great. The 'fit' (joints) look spot on. But I also think the 'body' of the barrel should be thinner.
Other then that........nice looking pen. Just keep working at your skills....it will get there.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
OK, so it has a little puppy fat, no biggie. You will see far worse from some much more experienced turners.

However, if you aren't happy then this is a great opportunity to learn how to dismantle a pen. The Sierra is probably the easiest pen to dismantle. Just put it back on the lathe and turn it down a little more. :biggrin:

solobiker

Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated. I used the skew at the end to help shape it and it worked great. I think I subconsciously made the body larger as I work with the geriatric population and have the arthritic mindset. :tongue: I was looking around about taking it apart and I am not sure how easy it is. It is a Gatsby pen with a transmission that is twisted on. Never took a pen apart. Hmmmm

solobiker

Thanks for the comments, I am still pretty happy with how it turned out as I am pretty new to all this. I know someone said "My mom can use a carbide and she's in the loony bin. Learn how to turn...not just be a tube turner". I actually do not think I am a tube turner and have good success with using a skew and gouges and have made other items such as wine stoppers, ice cream scoops etc that I have sold. Pens are a different "animal" and I just may give this one away to one of my arthritic patients.

dtswebb

Susan,

You're right on the money with the geriatric population comment. I did some experimenting with cigar pens to see how fat I could make the bodies before I thought they were ugly (as a side benefit, I also got great practice at taking apart cigar pens).

Surprise, I had a few with me to show as a joke and a woman offered to purchase one - she suffered from arthritis and could not hold a pen, but the fat cigar fit her hand perfectly and allowed her to write without pain.

Your fit and finish are good looking; unless you're looking to start selling what you make, make the diameter of the pen to satisfy you. Main thing is to enjoy your time at the lathe and keep trying to get better.

WriteON

That looks great. My first pen was a fat one also. (only a dog loves a bone).
There is nothing wrong with that look. It is your style. No right or wrong. And it lets the bodies design show.

BSea

Most of us have fat pens from early on. For some reason, they don't look that fat when it's just the blank on the lathe, but once assembled, they gain weight.:rolleyes:

And anyone who starts out learning the skew is way ahead of the game.

Top Bottom