a tulip wood pepper mill for a celebrity chef...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from The Penguin

The Penguin

My wife gave me a meet-n-greet package with Giada De Laurentiis for a gift.

I'd known about it for months, so it was no surprise. Then my wife says..."you could give her one of your pens."

I said - "I could make her a pepper mill"

so I did. I used a crush/grind mechanism and a piece of tulip wood that I'd been holding on to for several years just to make a pepper mill. (I think I was going to give it to my mom...but Giada got it instead.)

I've only made 1 other mill in the past, and never finished it because I had a big catch and nearly destroyed it. Plus I hated the shape.

So technically, this would be my first pepper mill. There's a few "oops" moments that came with this one...and a few flat spots in the long curve. I should have made the top a bit smaller, but I liked the bit of sapwood that was there, so I left it.

She was either thrilled...or very gracious when I gave it to her in the meet-n-greet. There were about 30 other people in the room at the time...then we went to the "celebrity theater" where we had VIP seating and she did a cooking demo with a crowd of 300+ people. There was another pepper mill on the cooking set (it was obviously a hand-made mill). It was removed, and mine placed there. During her demo - she had opportunity to put fresh pepper in a vinaigrette dressing...and then she pointed out to the entire audience that I had made it for her. She had me stand up. It was quite exciting to say the least.

maybe I'll see it on her show someday...if I don't...I'll always have the memory and a nice photo of Giada...me...and the mill I made just for her.

Attachments

• image-36214642.jpg
    image-36214642.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 729
  • image-2614351476.jpg
    image-2614351476.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 373
  • image-4265466890.jpg
    image-4265466890.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 328
  • image-973066280.jpg
    image-973066280.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,170
  • image-3526584599.jpg
    image-3526584599.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Great job on the mill, I have some on order in a group buy. You have a very memorable event there! What fun! We will keep an eye out for it too.

My avatar pic is an olivewood bottle stopper I made which my wife gave to Tyler Florence at a meet and greet. He was thrilled as well.

Bowl Slinger

Thats an awesome experience and a very nice mill. I had a similar experience in meeting Ben McDonald several years ago. I made him a pen/pencil set with his name and the Orioles emblem engraved in them. He told me that it was the thoughtful gift that he had ever received. He signed 27 cards and a ball for my son. It was an experience that we will always cherish.

OOPS

What a great story! I am so glad you shared that with us. My parents are big fans of hers so they will love hearing about your meeting with her.

Brooks803

Congrats Shawn! The mill looks stellar and it would be awesome if it made it on her show.

I do have one question though...

What kinda pen did she use to write the the thank you card? :tongue:

RichB

Outstanding Mill with a great story. Thanks for sharing. I have had the parts, for one, for over a year and still haven't got the nerve to make it. Someday I hope.

The Penguin

Congrats Shawn! The mill looks stellar and it would be awesome if it made it on her show.

I do have one question though...

What kinda pen did she use to write the the thank you card? :tongue:
a Sharpie. :frown:

had I thought about it in time - I would have made one of the sharpie holders that uses the refills and given that to her as well....or maybe I could just send her one...

Top Bottom