A TBC epiphany

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StumpyThumb

So today I was trying out the carbide tool I won in the bash... and wanted to try the new TBC bushings I have. Unfortunately, I only purchased the slimline set. And I don't have any slimline kits left. As I was sliding the bushings for a Cortana on my pen mandrel, it clicked. The slimline TBC bushings are essentially just a pen mandrel. I can effectively turn any set of bushings into a TBC bushing by slotting the slimline into them. It was a nice, "Huh, I feel brilliant!" moment!

Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Uhh ... yeah, that's exactly how they were designed. :)

The one thing you need to remember, though .... you can only turn 1 barrel at a time using TBC bushings/mandrels, so keep track of which end of the pen/barrel is which!

TonyL

I bought the inserts that Nakita mills/turns and was very impressed. He was selling them on one of that FB forums. They fit snugly and had 60 degree interior angles (I am sure that I am stating that incorrectly..but I think all understands).

Rick_G

A good idea. I've drilled out the regular bushings with a center drill to give me the 60 deg. angle but this is much easier. I never depend on the bushings for accuracy anyway but only to get close and then use calipers with the blank alone between centers and sand a couple thou. under size and then build up to the exact size needed with my CA finish.

Dale Allen

Well, this can be done and I have to admit I have done it in the past as a quick fix.
However, what you are doing is adding a second layer of possible problems. And, the bushing have to have some small amount of play or you wouldn't be able to slide them together. Now it is twice that difference...............or maybe I'm just too picky!:biggrin:

Top Bottom