A Simple, Precise, SAFE Method of Barrel Trimming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

islandturner

Last summer, there was a thread about injuries sustained from use of the barrel trimmer. In that thread, we learned that a good many IAP folks (including me ...), have through misuse or ill fortune, whacked themselves with this tool. There were over 70 posts, many describing injuries and their causes.

I use mine mounted in a Jacob Chuck in the lathe, and took all the skin and some meat off my knuckles when my hand slipped while pushing a tube/barrel assembly into the cutters. That got me thinking about a better way to do it.

There are two dangerous parts to this tool – the trimmer cutters and the long tube reamer that comes in several diameters. These reamers can do grievous damage to hands and fingers, if they poke out the end of a shorter barrel (Cigars, Jr Gents, etc). So we need something that will protect us from them too.

6681594843_a5b4a953e8_z.jpg

My idea is very simple – to push the barrel into the trimmer teeth using the tailstock quill. The trick is to do it so the tube reamer does not contact any tooling – only the interior of the tubes.

If it is a long barrel, than we can simply use the live or dead center (see next photo). Either will hold the barrel precisely parallel to the reamer shaft. My lathe is a Nova DVR, and one revolution of the tailstock handwheel advances the quill precisely 0.10 inches. So the control, when feeding/pushing the barrel into the trimmer is firm, slow, steady, and precise.

6681594715_92623d3990_z.jpg

6681594777_282509d727_z.jpg

But what if the barrel is shorter and the tube reamer is projecting out the end of the tube?

6681594885_1776e6c875.jpg

6681594955_26c8d741f8.jpg

Here is a wooden plug, turned to fit inside the #2 MT of the tailstock. This was made from a hardwood scrap in about 5 minutes. A hole is drilled in the end – the tube reamer teeth turn in this hole, permitting the end of the tube to push the barrel forward. Again, you have that perfect firm, steady, slow accurate feed of the barrel into the trimmer teeth.

6681595045_e02d7ced59_z.jpg

6681595117_77ab09e518_z.jpg

Here's a link to a very short (1 minute, 12 secs) You Tube video of this plug being used.

Safe Precise Barrel Trimming - YouTube

Please post any ideas on how to make this better.

Thanks
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

Very creative and a great idea. I am always amazed at the amount of creativity found by IAP members. Seems like anything can be solved here. Good job!

John Pratt

Am I missing something, or isn't the drill press and blank vise the safest and easiest way? That's how I do all my blanks. I haven't had a problem yet, even with laser inlay kits (sharp barrel trimmer helps).

jbthbt

Just an FYI, I use the strap style pipe wrenches to hold the blank for trimming, and for drilling odd size blanks like antler. The rubber protects the blank from any markings pliers or clamps might cause. HF makes reasonable quality ones that will usually last for about $5 if you catch the sale.

islandturner

I clamp my blank in the headstock with the dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from PSI, and drive the trimmer with the tailstock. No big problems here.

Just to clarify, you are trimming square blanks after the tubes are glued in, with the trimmer mounted in a Jacob chuck in the tailstock? Unless the blanks are perfectly square, the holes are drilled perfectly in the center, or are mounted precisely as when drilled, isn't it possible that the trimmer would not be perfectly aligned with the blank in the PSI chuck?

This seems like MORE work to me, mounting two chucks and making sure they are both properly aligned....

Maybe I'm not visualizing this correctly?

Steve

butchf18a

Here again it seems like taking a simple task and seeing how convuluted and difficult we can make it. Secure blanks in a vise, mount trimmer in hand drill, square up ends. Quick, simple, safe, effective. Drill press would be fine as long as blank is held in place securely, not in a hand. Disc sander? Sure, again as long as there is way to keep fleshy parts clear of disc. I acknowledge there are many ways to square up a blank prior to turning, but let's not over engineer the process. I can now understand how it may take some 2-3 hours to make a single pen.

dexter0606

I don't use a barrel trimmer anymore. I use my disc sander.
But, back when I did use the trimmer, all I did was tighten the blank into my drill press vise (not a centering vise, just a standard drilling vise) on an angle so I could access the end and then just used the trimmer in a hand drill.
No problems, no extra equipment.
I find the sander, a jig and transfer punches far outweigh using a trimmer.

I clamp my blank in the headstock with the dedicated pen blank drilling chuck from PSI, and drive the trimmer with the tailstock. No big problems here.

Just to clarify, you are trimming square blanks after the tubes are glued in, with the trimmer mounted in a Jacob chuck in the tailstock? Unless the blanks are perfectly square, the holes are drilled perfectly in the center, or are mounted precisely as when drilled, isn't it possible that the trimmer would not be perfectly aligned with the blank in the PSI chuck?

This seems like MORE work to me, mounting two chucks and making sure they are both properly aligned....

Maybe I'm not visualizing this correctly?

Steve
This is what I do. Around second 37 comes the trimming part.
Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck at Penn State Industries - YouTube
Yes I feel this is more work, so I am still looking for better ways to do it.

Top Bottom