A Little Texturing Practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I got a dozen of these nice and very reasonably priced brass stands from Pat Harris in the mail day before yesterday and just now got around to trying them out. These are the largest of the three sizes he has available.

I turned the bases for them and tried out my texturing tool to get a little more practice with it. One thing I found out is that texturing lends itself better to lighter colored woods . Small bases like this are good to use up scraps of wood and only take about ten minutes to make so I just used some walnut, purple-heart and maple from the scrap box.

The birdhouse ornaments are the last three I have left over from my last batch of them I made a while ago. I have a feeling they might sell better singly on these stands than on my rotating carousel stand that holds a bunch of them.

Birddhousesonstands.jpg

BrassStandBases.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Mr. Young, I think you have hit on something. The birdhouse on a stand is a stand alone item with no need to try to find a place at home to hang it, just sit it anywhere. You are also correct in the testureing does show better on the lighter wood. It looks good on the other dark wood but stands out much better on the maple. my .02
Charles

W.Y.

Mr. Young, I think you have hit on something. The birdhouse on a stand is a stand alone item with no need to try to find a place at home to hang it, just sit it anywhere. You are also correct in the testureing does show better on the lighter wood. It looks good on the other dark wood but stands out much better on the maple. my .02
Charles

Agreed.

They are basically Christmas tree ornaments and with no suitable way of displaying them after Christmas they get put away with the rest of the stuff until next year.
With the separate stands they can be displayed up on a shelf year 'round.

I get $15.00 for the birdhouses when they are on the carousel stand. Now with being on the brass stand I will be able offer them at $15.00 by themselves or $20.00 complete with the stand.

Super Dave

William, very creative idea. It adds alot to an ordinary piece of wood. I also have some of the brass hangers from Pat, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea.

Dave

W.Y.

William, very creative idea. It adds alot to an ordinary piece of wood. I also have some of the brass hangers from Pat, I hope you don't mind if I borrow your idea.

Dave

Don't mind at all.
It's all about sharing ideas with other woodworkers as well as trying some original ideas. :bananen_smilies039:

el_d

Very nice William, got to make some of those. The wife needs tree ornaments...

Looks like the birds are trying to figure out how to get their "well fed" bodies into the little doorway.

W.Y.

Are the little birdies available at Hobby Lobby or Michael.s?

I have heard that they have a small variety of them but some of us (like myself) are hundreds of miles from one of those stores and have to order on line.
Here is where I get mine.

http://www.floraltrims.com/

They have every style and color and size you could ever wish for at very reasonable prices.

Top Bottom