A couple new Hollow Forms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from holmqer

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Myrtle Hollow Form pierced and airbrushed metallic Candy Apple Red. Could not get the color balance right in the photo which makes it more pink looking. Around 5" (13 cm) tall. My second hollow form. This offered a couple challenges. The wood really needed an oil finish to bring out its beauty, but that made paint adhesion tricky even with an interface coat of Shellac. My first experiment with Candy colors. Final finish is EM6000 waterborne lacquer.

Poplar Hollow Form dyed in a Chris Pytlik style. I saw a demo on this technique by Chris at Totally Turning 2012 and decided to give it a try. Around 6" (15 cm) tall. My third hollow form. Bleaching this prior to dying proved to be a challenge. I used Hood 2 part bleach, and that got rid of the green streaks, but left some red streaks. Finished with EM6000 waterborne lacquer.

Attachments

• Myrtle Pierced HF 01.jpg
    Myrtle Pierced HF 01.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 239
  • Poplar Pytlik HF 01.jpg
    Poplar Pytlik HF 01.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks, I decided that 2012 was the year that I would learn to make hollow forms, so far lots of fun

SDB777

Eye candy!!!

Outstanding work on these, I'm not sure why your photo's make the finished pieces 'pink'? You can always wait for a nice sunny day and use a white sheet for a background and let the sun light them up!

Scott

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone!

Ron - Normally I use an NSK Presto for piercing like this, but on my recent pieces I am experimenting with a cheap alternative. This is a cheap $20 dental handpiece from eBay, add in hoses and fittings and I am probably in for around $50. I still prefer my NSK, but this is not a bad alternative to try it out, and let folks play with. If they over stress it and damage the bearings, a $20 replacement for the whole thing compared to $125 just for a new turbine/bearing cartrige for my NSK is easy to deal with.

Scott - The pink look is really odd, I never seem to have color shift issues in the past with my photo tent. I have the right lighting and stuff.

Top Bottom