A copper teaser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A copper teaser - Done

Hi all,
Wanted to try something new and these are the progress pics so far.
It consists of two 16mm threaded studs, a piece of Emerald Green pr ( from you know who:wink: ), one spare brass tube from an unkown kit and a length of 7mm brass tube from a hobby shop.

The pics show the parts so far and a dry fit of the cap. Before I glue up the cap, I'll heat it up and clamp it to ensure a perfect fit between the copper and pr. I'll glue it when it's cooled down.
The brass tube is plugged completely with a piece of acrylic ( not pr)
This is then drilled and tapped.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it tomorrow:biggrin:

Attachments

• Copper1.jpg
    Copper1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 587
  • Copper2.jpg
    Copper2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Copper3.jpg
    Copper3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 419
  • Copper4.jpg
    Copper4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 697
  • Copper5.jpg
    Copper5.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 533
  • Copper8.jpg
    Copper8.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 508
  • Copper10.jpg
    Copper10.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

Woodlvr

OK it is TOMORROW, where is it?:tongue::wink: I would like to have 1/8th of your creativity skills. Cannot wait to see your new creation. SHOWOFF:wink::biggrin: (OOPS is my jealousy showing?)

altaciii

I'm with Mike. Where's the beef? I searched all the posts and still no final picture. For the life of me, I couldn't see what you see in those pieces. I turned the pics upside down and sideways and still no idea of what you see and where its going. They say a sculpture can look at a piece of granite and see a form in it. A wood carver can look at a piece of wood and see something in it. What do you see when you walk through Lowes or home depot?

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with Mike and Alex.

DON'T MAKE US COME OVER THERE, MISTER!! :tongue:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Geesh!!!! patience, patience!!!!:biggrin: It's only a ......... pen:tongue:

It's finished at last, but it didn't give up without a struggle. Everything that could go wrong did. I remade the body as it blew up when I got distracted for a nanosecond:mad:.

I was going to do the same angle thing in the nib, but thought that it was too short and would look too busy.
The hardest part was holding it while I turned it as the angled end meant I couldn't use the tailstock. The taper in the body was done ONLY with sandpaper:eek::biggrin:

I like it and hope you guys do too:biggrin:

Attachments

• Copper8.jpg
    Copper8.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 343
  • Copper10.jpg
    Copper10.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 397

johnnycnc

Nice work, Skip!
The colors go good together,and the design is pretty classy too.
Your skills are awesome!
Thanks for sharing it with us.:biggrin:

ldb2000

Geeze Skippy , you are making it harder to steal .... eerrr ... learn from your work :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:
Oh by the way , Beautiful pen

Last edited:

RichB

That is a beautiful thing of beauty. What an artistic imagination to come up with it. Just plain sharp! It is so great I can't come up with the right words for it. Thanks

Woodlvr

FANTASTIC WORK. I cannot see how you come up with these beautiful creations, but you create awesome pens.

Last edited:

bitshird

Steven, Sir my hat's off to you, that is an outstanding pen, great design and execution, I absolutely hate machining copper, and you did it so beautifully.

altaciii

Like I said before, "I couldn't see the final product by just looking at the pieces." What a wonderful job. The master has struck again. Steve one day I hope to come up with some ideas of my own and create masterpieces such as this. GREAT JOB.

mitchm

Steve, another awesome creation!!! Stunning and "moerse mooi"!!! Someday I need to trek up north and bring you a Castle and Boerie so that I can breathe some of that creative air you have somewhere up there.....hopefully you can give me some in a bottle to take doen south again!! :) :biggrin:

izaks

This is what happens when creativity and skill are put together... really like it!

Izaks

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

This next bit is particularly for Butch. 'IF' you want to get a more slender taper in your nib. And I'm certainly not dissing your work:biggrin:
Here's a pic of the nib before being cut off the stock. It has 4 holes drilled in it. First, I drill a 2.5mm as deep as possible from one end. Then after some sketching out and measuring, I drill a 3mm, then 4mm ( for spring )then 6mm (6.9mm if using a brass tube) in the other end.
I find that drilling the small 2.5mm blind hole first is important. More often than not, I break the bit if doing a through hole, esp in steel. :wink:

The last pic is an easy way to accurately thread the parts using taps and dies in the lathe. ( Lathe OFF of course) I learnt this trick from Steve Bedair's site. You can do it on just about any lathe, metal or wood.
Simply fully extend the tailstock quill so it spins freely. Some wood lathes, you'd just remove the screw that stops it from turning.
It doesn't matter which way round you hold the tool/material.

I wear a pair of rubber gardening gloves and then hold one chuck in each hand and just go for it. Clear and 'break' the shavings about every quarter turn. Lots of WD40 or oil
I think using Tommy bars ( or chuck keys ) for leverage is a bad idea for small fine threads :biggrin::wink:

Thanks again for the nice comments:)

Attachments

• Copper9.jpg
    Copper9.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 252
  • threading.jpg
    threading.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 288

ldb2000

Thanks Steven . On rollerball and some ballpoint nibs I make a smoother longer taper like this pen
1_kitlesskit.jpg

but on some ballpoint nibs I like the more blunt look , it makes it look a little more interesting to my crooked eyes . I work the other way around though . First I turn the tennon that will go into the lower tube , then I drill the spring pocket hole then the hole for the refill point from the end of the bar stock , then I turn the shape of the nib so I can polish the larger diameter that will be against the collet chuck , then I part it off the bar stock and polish the very tip last (I hold it by the tennon that goes into the lower tube) , on the wood lathe I find it easier to do it this way with the Brass and Aluminum . It sounds a little confusing but it is easier for me this way . I will let you know if it works on the metal lathe when I start playing with harder metals . But thanks for the tips . I can use all the help I can get .

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=6164

Last edited:

furini

Skip
all the words have been used but that is a fantastic pen - definitely something to aspire to!
Cheers
Stewart

Top Bottom