#5 nibs, hard or soft?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeschn

Hey Guys,

Most of the fountain pen kits that are available have a #5 nib. Are any of those nibs in the least bit softer? or are they all hard as nails?

What if I turn a kit, like the Atrax, and want a softer nib? Is there anything out there in the world that fits? Thanks...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Hey Guys,

Most of the fountain pen kits that are available have a #5 nib. Are any of those nibs in the least bit softer? or are they all hard as nails?

What if I turn a kit, like the Atrax, and want a softer nib? Is there anything out there in the world that fits? Thanks...

I don't know if the #5 Heritance nib will interchange. It might be worth a try or question to verify fit. IIRC, the Heritance nibs were designed to emulate 18kt gold nibs.

https://www.exoticblanks.com/heritance-5-steel-nib-choose-point.html

Last edited:

Bope

There are quite few kits with #6 also if you are wanting a larger nib. Are you comparing calligraphy nibs to fountain pen nibs? A calligraphy nib is designed to flex more and is less durable than a FP nib. FP nibs are purposefully stiffer for more durability. If you want more flex you can try the Conklin Omniflex. I have used the #6 in a Jr. George.

If you are trying to compare the feel of a gold nib to a steel one then you are looking at two different worlds. All kits will be a steel nib. A gold nib itself with be $100+

I have not come across kits available in the US that don't use a JoWo nib. The Heritance is a JoWo compatible nib so should work in your kit pen. Couldn't tell you how much flex it has.

mikeschn

@rixstix

Thanks for that Rick, I'll ask Dawn/Ed if the Heritance will fit.

@Bope

Yeah, maybe I should have said semi-flex. I've been doing a bunch of Apollos with the Schmidt FH241 <M>point, and the amount of flex is perfect. And that's steel, so I know semi-flex is possible. But the Atrax, and therefore I assume all the Berea kits, have nibs that are hard as nails. That's why I'm looking for alternatives!

I tried pulling the nib out of the FH241, and it's stuck in there really tight!!! šŸ˜­

Penfeather

The Flexible Nib Factory has flexy nibs for the JoWo #6 and the Bock 250. They also have compatible feeds, and housings. Looks like everything can be bought separately. I haven't actually tried the flex nibs from this company, so I can't make any claims as to how flexy they are. I have tried the ultra flex nibs from Fountain Pen Revolution and Kanwrite and they were pretty good although the standard feed that came in the pen had a lot of trouble keeping up. I'm waiting for some ebonite feeds, which are supposed to be much better (wetter) for flex nibs. I think they are all JoWo#6 compatible and can be bought without the pen. I haven't seen any flexy #5 nibs.

Top Bottom