5 beech bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

Hello folks

here are 5 ordinary bowls I've finished recently

they are all beech and they are all from the same woodland which is about 5 miles from my shop- they were all stored in the same way but look how differently they've spalted- strange eh!?!?

there all about 12" in diameter

p.s in the group pic there's a oak bowl as well

P1090276.jpg

P1090267.jpg

P1090262.jpg

P1090259.jpg

P1090254.jpg

P1090250.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I came back to this thread to look at the pretty bowls again and it got me wondering, are turners the only ones that love rotting wood? Even enough to make it rot!

robutacion

I will be damn...!:eek:

How did you manage to those first couple of bowls soooooo dark...????

Is that spalting or something happening in there...???

Great stuff mate, those are some very useful and heavy duty bowls in any kitchen, particularly with kids around...!

At first I though, goodness me, George can't count as I could see 6 bowls in there but, after I finish reading the post I realize that, you can count, after all...!!!:wink::biggrin:

Keep those shavings building, mate...!:)

Cheers
George

thank you

I'm really not sure how it happened George- the dark bowls may be from a different tree but they are all definitely from the same woodland. I store the beech on pallets inside an open air enclosure for 18-24 months to spalt, when i start working on a batch that's ready i will have two logs next to each other- one has not spalted but gone punky the other is full on spalted and stunning!!!! I've given up trying to figure it out

Last edited:
Top Bottom