5-6 pieces of darkish brown burl 1x1x6

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikedealer

Making 5-6 pens as gifts, would like to purchase 5-6 pieces of a nice darker brown wood burl wood. They do not need to be the same, they can be all different etc, just would like on darker brown side with not too much red to the wood. Need 1x1x6 or slightly larger. If anyone has anything let me know. eBay hasn't been great in this search for me, Don't want to spend a fortune. Just a decent looking striped/spotted style burl

NC Wood Art

I have some REALLY dark Brown Mallee burl I could re-saw into 1" sq x 6" but I would need $12 per blank. I can send picture when I get home if interested.

isaacrapelje

Here are some pictures of the different brown woods. Aero had a great suggestion with brown mallee but also might suggest a dyed brown maple burl or stabilized brown maple burl which might be cheaper. Here are two pictures of the brown mallee burl next to the amboyna and red mallee, very dense wood with lots of little eyes. Black nargusta would be another burl the sapwood is brown but the heartwood is more dark chocolate. Then there is HRB but that would be pricy but is real nice stuff. I have a book matched slab of HRB, for sale in the classified section that would work for you that is reasonably priced on slab is 3/4+ probably closer to 1 inch square so you could get all your blanks from one slab with extra left over.

Attachments

• amboyna and brown mallee.jpg
    amboyna and brown mallee.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 67
  • brown and red 4.jpg
    brown and red 4.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 62
  • chechen2.jpg
    chechen2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 56
  • maple burl 7ab.jpg
    maple burl 7ab.jpg