4th natural edge bowl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

This is habit forming, I have had a good week. It took a couple of days to recover from a smack to the hand while sanding #3, just a dislocated finger or 2 and a chunk of meat missing off the inside of a finger:eek:. I finished the bowl after I checked for blood on it:wink:. This is another Bradford Pear, I had to sand the first coat of finish off. Minwax is for the birds, it takes 4 times as long to dry and doesn't look near as good as Deft. Just thought I would add that. Here are some photos, I do like the shape of this one better than some of the other Bradford Pear bowls I did. I did have a small problem. I had a violent catch that tore the tenon off of the bowl. I returned the tenon and then the dang thing cracked from bottom to top. Oh well here it is. Enjoy Russell

Attachments

• IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

This is habit forming, I have had a good week. It took a couple of days to recover from a smack to the hand while sanding #3, just a dislocated finger or 2 and a chunk of meat missing off the inside of a finger:eek:. I finished the bowl after I checked for blood on it:wink:. This is another Bradford Pear, I had to sand the first coat of finish off. Minwax is for the birds, it takes 4 times as long to dry and doesn't look near as good as Deft. Just thought I would add that. Here are some photos, I do like the shape of this one better than some of the other Bradford Pear bowls I did. I did have a small problem. I had a violent catch that tore the tenon off of the bowl. I returned the tenon and then the dang thing cracked from bottom to top. Oh well here it is. Enjoy Russell

Hi Russell

Exceptional "form/shape" you've got on that one, I certainly agree with you on that, is a shame what happened in the end tough but, and expanding a little more into the accident you had on #3, I'm not totally surprised of your accident, those type turning are literally "fingers eaters" and not only. Some people don't appreciate what is involved with the turning and particularly sanding of such pieces.

They may look very good when done but and unless one takes the time to stare of the wood turning and realise that the edges/bark are almost invisible and its location is not exactly where you may thing it is, I know this is a bit difficult to understand for those that never turned hollowed natural edged bowls but anyone that have at least done one, will know what I'm talking about even maybe have some scars to prove it..!:eek::biggrin:

There are a few specially made tools to deal/work it these type of turnings, particularly specially designed extended sanding instruments, they certainly save your fingers but if not used with care still, the instrument is easily destroyed or the bowls is...!:mad:

Anyway, I have to give a 10 out of 10 just for the effort of doing 4 of those in a raw, well done mate...!

What's next...???

Cheers
George

seamus7227

Wow, I thought I was the only idiot to get nailed by the bark from the natural edge and lose some flesh! Last week I was turning a Mesquite natural edged bowl and the bark was sharp as a razor and no sooner than I turned on the lathe, I positioned my hand on the tool rest too close and that bark came swinging back around and wack, right on the side of my hand between my wrist and pinky finger. OUCH that hurt, it left a 1" void. I suppose it could have been worse.

seamus7227

Oh, And great job on the bowl! I've been following your posts and they look great! And I might add that they are somewhat addictive too! Sort of a nice break from the pens for a while.

Russell Eaton

Hey George, I scored about 15 Dogwood blanks today from a tree beside my parents house. It was dead and has a nice pink tint to the wood. For some reason ALL the dogwood trees in there yard have died with some sort of Blight. I told my mom I would make her a bowl to remember the trees with. The bottom bowl blank is going to be pretty big for the species of tree.
Thanks for the comments. Russell

Fred

Russell ... GA is losing the original Dogwood to a virus that has spread all across the S.E. It is definitely a definite shame that the original State Tree of GA are all going to begone one day in the near future. The bark blisters close to the ground and complete girdles the tree and the tree is doomed.

I had one in my parents front yard that I cut down as it was dying and I have several large bowl blanks to get turned. I have too many limbs that will make many, many pen blanks ... some day. All the wood has a nice pink color throughout.

robutacion

Hey George, I scored about 15 Dogwood blanks today from a tree beside my parents house. It was dead and has a nice pink tint to the wood. For some reason ALL the dogwood trees in there yard have died with some sort of Blight. I told my mom I would make her a bowl to remember the trees with. The bottom bowl blank is going to be pretty big for the species of tree.
Thanks for the comments. Russell

You lucky "dog"...!:biggrin:

I get fascinated and at the same time surprised with the names wood species get from all over the world, I often try to make a connection of the name with the wood but in the very majority on cases, doesn't make any sense to me, not that makes any difference but just a side note. I wonder what make it to get such name "dogwood"...???:confused::)

I didn't know of the infestation that is attacking and killing those trees in your State, there have been many other identical cases with other Native USA trees and is sad that a solution isn't in most cases found before the trees are doomed. I understand that many of the "creatures" that are able to dissipate an entire wood species have only recently been discovered or revealed, many of which have been active and causing damage for many decades, unfortunately, trees as a living creature, are subject to diseases that today's science and technology are yet not able to eradicate or at least prevent.

I reckon the idea of giving back a turned item piece from a tree that has significant meaning to someone, is honourable, recommended and something that "the other person" will cherish for ever. I often do this, or should I say, I religiously got out of my way to make sure, this type of "gift" is always provided to those people I'm aware, have a strong affiliation to a tree that I cut down (for whatever reason...!). It makes me feel good, also...!:biggrin:

I don't know if it is possible or not, and from what you and Fred just said about the tree situation, I wonder if any of you guys could tale a couple of close up pics of a badly affected tree so that we all (those interested) can have an idea of what looks like...!

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
George

Russell Eaton

George I will take a picture of the bottom part of the tree where the bark is blistering off. I have that section at home. It has a nice white/pink color on the inside.

Russell Eaton

George, here is a picture of the bark on a dead dogwood tree. I also took a picture of the end grain. The bark has started to fall off, the tree had blooms on it last spring. I asked a question on another forum and one person commented that all the trees he had seen that died were in the shade. Sadly ALL of my parents trees were shaded.

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 101

robutacion

Thanks Russell,

The pics sure help to put an image on the problem description. Unusual malformation in the bark surface in spots and certainly I can see that is something not right in between the inner skin layer and the outer layer. There is a thin layer formed that is obviously stopping the nutrients to the feed to the tree.

I don't know if being in the shade has anything to do with the disease that is killing the trees but, I know that many fungi and other bacteria type do very well in the shade and in humid areas, sunshine is definably an enemy to them and maintaining many trees free of some diseases due to the UV and temperature the wood get from direct sun light exposure. I'm no Biologist but I've learn a bit of these issues in my life time dealing with wood of all sorts and locations...!

Just a question, does this wood get mold, blue stains and quite spalting happening not long after the wood has been cut...???

Cheers
George

knifecut

then the dang thing cracked from bottom to top.
Just an artsy design opportunity. Use some wood accent pieces to cross the crack in a zipper or lashing manner. Might even want to V shape the crack some.

Use tape to flag/mark the edge when working on natural edges. Best to be slapped by the tape than the bark.

Top Bottom