Honduran Rosewood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from David Keller

David Keller

I was lucky enough to come into a little of this gorgeous wood, so I thought I'd have a go with a piece of it. I didn't really have anything in mind when I started on it, but this is what I ended up with. I continue to be drawn to pieces like this with voids and inclusions.

It's about 5 inches tall and finished with shellac, BLO, and WOP.
HRB-Hf-1.jpgHRB-HF2.jpgHRB-HF3.jpgHRB-HF-4.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Beautiful hollow form, that was a lucky find for that chunk of Burl, nice finish also, How high was the pucker factor turning with the voids nearly across the wood?? Nice turning!!!

robutacion

David,

I can understand how and why you are getting "fixated" with those small style turnings, they are as addictive as pens, bowls and many other type turnings. Sometimes we simply look for creating something different in the lathe and all of a certain the bits of wood that we have been putting a side in the "too hard basket" or simple not providing the shape or size you would like, become the most looked for source of raw material, funny how it all works...!:wink:

You have certainly mastered the handling of such small and fragile pieces of wood, they are coming out with exceptional shapes and finishes, well done...!

Unfortunately, you have to content yourself with what you get locally, in the form of blanks, or any pieces of wood with all the bark and large natural intrusions, those will never be allowed through Customs people from here, otherwise you would be very busy with some of the stuff I get from around here. I collect those with intention of make something with them myself one day, some are relatively small(ish) other require some muscle to move them around, something that also require a "far" size lathe to handle them, I can say that my modest Nova 1624-44 is just on its limits for most of them, sometimes the blanks has to be cut to fit the working area this lathe provide in its normal position or using the outboard turning capabilities of it which I don't particularly like to use as my principle and way of seeing things is, if the blank is that big and heavy that can't fit in the headstock in the normal position, which will already push the bearings to its maximum capacity, turning the headstock around and force the bearing to hold and turn the wobbly blank all by itself and without the tails stock to assist the balancing and the support of the piece, as it turns, is most definitely, asking for troubles.

You on the other hand, are smarter and decided to focus on miniature pieces, this is a "better" option in many aspects, the raw blanks are small, there is easy to handle, light in weight if purchased (shipping and volume/weight material costs), easy to find, easy on the tools, require little amounts of finish products, can be done/turn in the smallest of lathes and if, things go wrong and you lose it, you didn't lost much...!!!:eek::wink::biggrin:

There is also one other major "benefit" as I see it, there is, it would be near impossible for one to appreciate the real beauty of most woods using only pen blanks that most have to buy, as they have no availability, knowledge, tools, time and interest for such part/step(s) of the wood work world, most get their pen blanks only as the only size they work with and they will never know or see what the rest of the tree looked like, including the bark, and many of its natural flaws and voids. Turning these little natural edged or flawed pieces, one has the opportunity to see, work with and appreciate a little more of what nature provide to those that care or are interested in make use of those treasures.

By all means, don't take me wrong, not everyone is the same, nor everyone has the same natural inclinations and tastes, therefore, there is no right or wrong in working or using these type woods, clean wood turning is no less rewarding in many aspects but, those that have experienced mounting a "decent" chunk of a tree root, burl, trees fork, half log or even full log and, deal with such strange and scary thing turning at speed, while you try to get firstly, the lathe from not running away, secondly minimise its erratic turning behaviour and at the same time approach the cutting gouge to remove material from it, believe me, you haven't tried true turning...!:eek::biggrin:

With all this said and if you are feeling like giving it a go, please remember your lathe capacity and your turning capabilities, safety gear is most crucial in these cases and a pair of spare under-ware handy is most reccommended...!:wink: Just ask David...!!!:eek: huh...mate...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Great combination of form, wood and execution! I love this style of work, someday I'll give it a try.

wizard

David, From one Doc to another, that is an absolutely beautiful work of art. I love Honduran Burl and that piece with it's "flaws" truly illustrates all the features unique to that wood. And you have transformed it into a unique piece that would be make a beautiful addition to a gallery! Regards, Doc

Top Bottom