Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

This lidded box is #3 in my series of miniatures and is topped by my first finial. The layers from top to bottom in the lid are ebony, sepelle, black micarta, maple, and mahogany. The layers in the box are mahogany, ash, black micarta, sepelle, and black palm. The photos were taken with a new light tent and two LED lights which makes getting uniform lighting so much easier!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery
View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveAxelrod

Thanks guys! I wish I could say that it was a well-planned design, but the shape of the bowl just evolved as I was turning the blank and when it was done I realized it wasn't really a good shape for a bowl. So since a lidded box was on my "To Turn" list, I figured a lid might improve the profile, so I glued up a lid and at the last minute decided I may was well try making a finial since I was charting new territories. Turing the finial proved to be relatively easy although designing a well-proportioned nicely-shaped finial was a bit more challenging. I had to re-size it smaller before I liked the symmetry. When it was done I was pretty amazed at how nice it looked with the bottom! By the way, the dimensions are 2.5" wide and 3.5" tall and was turned on a bottle stopper mandrel.

MDWine

You're barking up my tree with this one. A guy turned some hair pins at a club demo some time ago, so I have the hots to do a lidded box with those delicate finials.
Been watching lots of "Cindy Drozda" lately... hopefully I can dig a path to one of the lathes soon to start my journey!

I love the different woods, but I wonder about sanding dust contamination. Did you have any trouble with that? How did you handle it?

(Nice work!!)

Top Bottom