3 acrylic box's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from George Watkins

hello folks here are 3 new box's that i've turned today- i've struggled a little bit photographing these but i hope you get the idea of the shape and markings etc

these are all polyester resin- two are a blue and white swirl and the black one has some gold pearlex in it which looks great in the sun light.

they are all around 2" wide and between 1 3/4" and 2 1/4" tall

P1050986.jpg

P1060035.jpg

P1060032.jpg

P1060029.jpg

P1060018.jpg

P1060038.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

WOW pretty cool. The first is my favorite of the three. All are top notch. Are they turned form one big piece or do you cast like a piece for the lid and a piece for the bottom?

Thank you

the walls are very thick-compared to some wooden box's i make- there about 1/4" to 3/8"- there very durable unless you drop them of tile or concrete floors that is- then they will chip!!

Last edited:

kludge77

Very sweet looking! 2" is much smaller than I originally thought from the pictures.

What were your major challenges in this?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Very sweet looking! 2" is much smaller than I originally thought from the pictures.

What were your major challenges in this?

Turning PENS from PR is a piece of cake, compared with hollowing and turning a vessel like this. Chip out and vibration are MAJOR issues.

This is MASTERFUL turning!!!!

kludge77

I agree it's very cool, which is why I asked about his challenges. I wasn't knocking the OP's skill. Just noting that at first glance they looked larger.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I agree it's very cool, which is why I asked about his challenges. I wasn't knocking the OP's skill. Just noting that at first glance they looked larger.

I didn't take it as knocking him---Just wanted to emphasize the difficulty---most turners complain about plastics and how hard they are to "keep from shattering". Doing hollow forms is a whole different level of turning and tool control.

Thank you for all of your kind comments

I have been making box's from acrylic material for a few years now- i had some of my pictures published in the AAW journal earlier this year- which you may have seen

I enjoy making them and the biggest challenge for me is slowing down with the size of the cut's- so with wood i can rough out quickly then refine, with acrylic i have to be gentle from start to finish.

kludge77

I enjoy making them and the biggest challenge for me is slowing down with the size of the cut's- so with wood i can rough out quickly then refine, with acrylic i have to be gentle from start to finish.

Do you hog out the box inside with a forstner bit? On the couple if wood boxes I've made this was a huge time saver.

Would that even work with resin?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Do you hog out the box inside with a forstner bit? On the couple if wood boxes I've made this was a huge time saver.

Would that even work with resin?

Yes, you can use a forstner bit to remove the inside. Personally, I would probably shape the outside first, make an "indent" on the bottom to hold with your scroll chuck, then drill the interior and refine interior shape.

Thank you

Kludge77- no i dont- its far easier to remove the material with a gouge then refine with neg rake scrapers- by the time i've got the jacobs chuck and drill bit in the tailstock i could have done it- even more so with wood.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you

Kludge77- no i dont- its far easier to remove the material with a gouge then refine with neg rake scrapers- by the time i've got the jacobs chuck and drill bit in the tailstock i could have done it- even more so with wood.

Them Brits is purists!!!

You use a gouge??? I'd be chicken and use a round nose scraper, but either way---CONGRATULATIONS!!

Woodlvr

George,
I have 2 4" round X 12" tall pretzel tubes tubes full of acrylic cut offs and would love to attempt these. Could you post a shot of the gouges and tools that you use? My granddaughters would love these for their doll houses.

George,
I have 2 4" round X 12" tall pretzel tubes tubes full of acrylic cut offs and would love to attempt these. Could you post a shot of the gouges and tools that you use? My granddaughters would love these for their doll houses.

I dont quite follow you mike- do you mean you are going to make a larger blank from all the offcuts you have? these box's are made from a 2" diameter rod of acrylic

as for tools- its just a standard 3/8" spindle gouge and a scraper with a facet ground on the top edge to turn it into a negative rake scraper.

Woodlvr

DUH-ME sorry. I forgot that you use a 2" diameter rod. The pieces that I have will work for thimbles I guess. Thank you for your help.

mervyn

Hi George, as I said before mate very nice work, just to give the guys an idea these are just some of the large blanks (50mm x 6") that I cast for George, actually George it seems that people do like the darker one the best (black and gold) as a tester mate why don't I make you a black mint one too FREE OF COURSE. See how it turns out.

Well done mate! nice work.

Mervyn

set-blanks-3.jpg

set-blanks-2.jpg

Top Bottom