2nd natural edge bowl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

This is the 2nd try. It turned out pretty well. I like this bowl a lot better than the tree. It was a Bradford Pear from my front yard:rolleyes:. I will be making a few more of these in the near future. It is 8" across and 4" tall. Enjoy, Russell

Attachments

• IMG_2428.jpg
    IMG_2428.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Nice bowl, Russell. I think you should keep it in the kitchen......filled with pears:).

It might encourage your pear trees to keep producing.

Russell Eaton

The finish is rattle can spray lacquer, Deft brand. It has a total of 4 coats, it takes a while to dry when its cold. I set this one in front of my heater to speed the drying process. It takes half the time that way. Thanks for the comments. Russell

Fred

Russell ... Another excellent display of turning talent. Would you post a photograph of the bottom of either (or both) of your bowls please. I personally like to observe how folks treat the bottom of certain types of turnings.

BTW, you should have saved the limbs to burn in this cold spell we seem to have hanging around our heads. Also, I bet you don't miss the leaf problem this coming fall.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Nice form and fantastic finish! I like Bradford Pear but never did a natural edge bowl with it.

Russell Eaton

I will try to post some pictures of the bottom tomorrow. The only way I know to keep the bark on the bowl is to soak it with thin ca glue. I mean SOAK it! I usually turn the bottom and get the shape round then apply it. One more hint is to make your "cut" inwards toward the bark NOT from the bottom outward. That will help keep the bark intact. Also bee very careful to not get hit with the "wings" of the bowl when sanding the bowl:eek: it can be a attention getter:cool: And don't ask how I know... Thanks again for the comments. Russell

JerrySambrook

Gary,
Depending on what you mean by small, a small natural edge is harder to do than a fair size bowl of 8 inches or so. Especially if you are just beginning
to turn NE bowls. The wings can be an attention getter.

Try something in the 10 inch range if you can.
You typically do not end up with a 10 inch bowl from a 10 inch blank in NE

SGM Retired

Thanks Jerry for the info, The cherry log I turned two days ago was about 12 inches, what a log!!! One problem I have each time (all three bowls I've turned) is the tennon breaks off at the bottom using my G3 chuck. I'm making the tennon as big as the chuck will take but to no avial it breaks off and I have to turn another and clamp it back down. I forgpt to add one thing, it breaks off when I take the tail center of to turn with just the chuck. Not good to have a 12 inch green cherry bowl hitting the ground at your feet!

Top Bottom