24 JAN - IAP 2008 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Congratulations to Edman2 and Kirkfranks on winning!
Wow Kirkfranks are going for the all time winning record?

There is no chance you can even look at the loser's club....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

That's just it Scott. We were discussing one specific thing and you threw something else in, thus muddying the waters.

Your case has been thrown out due to lack of merrit![^]

Mike

M

Mudder

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

That's just it Scott. We were discussing one specific thing and you threw something else in, thus muddying the waters.

Mike

Like I said, If you can't grasp it on the first go round........

One is a professor of English and the other is a Judge. Interesting. :D

DocStram

Originally posted by rcarman

Arrrrrrgggggggghhh! 24 days of futile research. 48 chances to win. All in all the odds are pretty good. However,YES we lost again!!!! Average number of daily entries and the number of conseqecutive loses remind me why I don't buy lottery tickets where the odds are REALLY bad.
Bob ... Bob ... Bob .... Get a grip! There's nothing wrong with suffering the pain and humility of losing. So your life is a miserable failure and you're a complete and utterly dismal flop. Look on the bright side .... you are only 7 days away from becoming a life long member of the IAP Losers Club. We're a pretty prestigious group! ;)

kirkfranks

Well it appears above that I won for a third time[:p]... BUT WAIT I need to decline because I did not have the correct answer to this question.:(
I am not saying that the trivia master made a mistake...Perhaps the electrons got confused in cyberspace and made my answer appear correct... Anyway someone else will need to be chosen.

Keep your fingers crossed rcarman.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Mudder

Mike

The question at hand was posed as a serious question, the discussion was about a specific use of a specific set of punctuation. Your comment (while understood) was still out of left field and not really relevant to that particular issue.
Who is a "Judge" and who is an "English Professor?" Does it even matter? A garbage man can get the answer correct if he knows the rules for American grammar. Unless of course you are saying that one of these professionals is more intelligent than the other? Both parties would have access to literary work that would provide them with the answer to the question posed.
I took a poll at my place of employment today and was utterly dismayed with the number of professional people who basically answered this question with "I don't really know." On the other hand, if I knew how to scan things into this darned computer I could scan the literary work from one college Psych journal (the first page I opened too and the next page after that) with multiple examples of the "question at hand" in use. I could also scan the text referenced earlier, which is used to teach the college writing courses (I received an A+ in that course.)

All in all, I think the efforts to help one individual answer one question have gotten way out of hand and some people have decided to take things personally. It is difficult to read "tone" into a post, which is unfortunate because you can't read a person's joke at times. Of course at other times some just decide to ignore the "joking side" and go on a rant anyway, and you can't tell that either. So to that end, this will be my last post on this. If anyone really wants to have a serious conversation about it, feel free to post me and I'll try to get you the information that I have available to me. I don't consider myself the expert on this by any means - and if you are in a different country the answer will be different as well.

Linda

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Mudder

Mike

The question at hand was posed as a serious question, the discussion was about a specific use of a specific set of punctuation. Your comment (while understood) was still out of left field and not really relevant to that particular issue.
Who is a "Judge" and who is an "English Professor?" Does it even matter? A garbage man can get the answer correct if he knows the rules for American grammar. Unless of course you are saying that one of these professionals is more intelligent than the other? Both parties would have access to literary work that would provide them with the answer to the question posed.
I took a poll at my place of employment today and was utterly dismayed with the number of professional people who basically answered this question with "I don't really know." On the other hand, if I knew how to scan things into this darned computer I could scan the literary work from one college Psych journal (the first page I opened too and the next page after that) with multiple examples of the "question at hand" in use. I could also scan the text referenced earlier, which is used to teach the college writing courses (I received an A+ in that course.)

All in all, I think the efforts to help one individual answer one question have gotten way out of hand and some people have decided to take things personally. It is difficult to read "tone" into a post, which is unfortunate because you can't read a person's joke at times. Of course at other times some just decide to ignore the "joking side" and go on a rant anyway, and you can't tell that either. So to that end, this will be my last post on this. If anyone really wants to have a serious conversation about it, feel free to post me and I'll try to get you the information that I have available to me. I don't consider myself the expert on this by any means - and if you are in a different country the answer will be different as well.

Linda

Touchy, Touchy.....Seems neither of you can take a joke.

Your whole rant above leads me to wonder just who decided to ignore the "joking side".

M

Mudder

Almost forgot, Should the period be inside or outside of the quotation marks? [8D]

Jarheaded

Kirk,
Good man to come forward and speak up about not having the right answer. But it doesn't look like anyone cares much when a conversation about punctuation is taking place. I'm sure if you used the wrong punctuation when you made your post, you would have been recognized. Nice to see that there is still honorable people around.
Congratulations,
Johnnie

Since I seem to have offended Doc due to my miswording, I will make an ammendment to this posting:
It didn't seem like anyone that was online at that time argueing about a period placement cared.

rlharding

Leave it be Mudder. Now you are just making yourself look like a fool.

It would be great if we could stop hijacking threads. The contest got lost in the discussion of the English language. The contest winner not even congratulated as in other trivia posts.

If we want to go off at a tangent then please start a new thread.

my 2c.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by rlharding

Leave it be Mudder. Now you are just making yourself look like a fool.

It would be great if we could stop hijacking threads. The contest got lost in the discussion of the English language. The contest winner not even congratulated as in other trivia posts.

If we want to go off at a tangent then please start a new thread.

my 2c.

Says she who continues the tangent.

DocStram

Originally posted by kirkfranks

Well it appears above that I won for a third time[:p]... BUT WAIT I need to decline because I did not have the correct answer to this question.:(
I am not saying that the trivia master made a mistake...Perhaps the electrons got confused in cyberspace and made my answer appear correct... Anyway someone else will need to be chosen.

Keep your fingers crossed rcarman.

Kirk ... I have been away from my computer. A few minutes ago, I read your email. I made a mistake when transcribing names from the list of entrants to the Winners' Announcement Post.

Thank you for contacting us about the error. The second winner is actually arioux. I made the correction in the Announcement and sent him an email.

As a show of gratitude for your integrity, I would like to send you a few choice blanks from my personal stash. Please pm your address to me.

Thank you again. You, Kirk ... are one honest guy!

DocStram

Originally posted by Jarheaded

Kirk,
Good man to come forward and speak up about not having the right answer. But it doesn't look like anyone cares much when a conversation about punctuation is taking place. I'm sure if you used the wrong punctuation when you made your post, you would have been recognized. Nice to see that there is still honorable people around.
Congratulations,
Johnnie

It doesn't look like anyone cares much? Take a deep breath.

Let's not be so hasty to judge people. I was off line for the last few hours. As soon as I saw the mistake that I made ... I took immediate corrective action.

You don't think that I care about making a mistake in listing the wrong winner? I care a whole damn lot. If there's one thing that is of the utmost importance to me and a whole lot of IAP members, it's protecting the integrity of IAP.

So .... jump back, Jack.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'll second that - Doc sent me an email immediately to let me know that he posted the wrong name, and that he was planning to send some blanks to kirkfranks for being honest!

Congratulations go out to edman2 and arioux! Please send me your addresses, and we'll get those prizes sent out to you! (Edman2, I've got yours already, thanks!)

Doc's earning a LOT of blanks these days in the blank the triviamaster contest! :D Good job, Doc! Now that you've got your first hiccup out of the way, it should be easy sailing for the rest of the month!

Andrew

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by maxwell_smart007

I'll second that - Doc sent me an email immediately to let me know that he posted the wrong name, and that he was planning to send some blanks to kirkfranks for being honest!

Congratulations go out to edman2 and arioux! Please send me your addresses, and we'll get those prizes sent out to you! (Edman2, I've got yours already, thanks!)

Doc's earning a LOT of blanks these days in the blank the triviamaster contest! :D Good job, Doc! Now that you've got your first hiccup out of the way, it should be easy sailing for the rest of the month!

Andrew

Congratulations to both of the winners (Edman & Arioux) and an Honorable Mention to Kirk for being an all-around good guy!! It's nice to know that honor and integrity are still alive and well!

[:X] Mrs.

Jarheaded

Hey Doc, that wasn't directed your way. I should have worded that differently. Please don't take it personally.
Johnnie

Does this mean that I have to blank the triviamonster again?:)

DocStram

Originally posted by Jarheaded

Hey Doc, that wasn't directed your way. I should have worded that differently. Please don't take it personally.
Johnnie

Does this mean that I have to blank the triviamonster again?:)

Whew! My apologies Jarheaded. Tell ya what ... Since I was the one in the wrong ... I'll send you blanks! ;)

Top Bottom