2" Radius Cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rockytime

Rockytime

I just received my order of cutters from Capn Eddie. Excellent cutters. Sooo, I had to make a new handle to use them. Handle is cherry. The cutters are 15mm and the rod is 1/2 inch. I always make my cutter shanks round rather than square. I like to use the cutters at an angle as well as straight for scraping. I also just ordered his 18mm round cutters. Will need another handle.

Attachments

• 20151018_162454.jpg
    20151018_162454.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Beautiful, but it's missing a detail ....

A brass or copper ferrule around where the shaft enters the body of the handle would be a great assistance in keeping the handle from splitting in case of excessive force applied to the tool laterally. It's probably not absolutely necessary, but it's something people will look at and comment on ... that it's missing.

On my custom made tool handles (only have 2 prototypes at the moment, turned from poplar), I cut grooves similar to yours, but in them I inlaid some copper wire that I had laying about. The effect was pretty nice. I still haven't finished them yet, because at the time I was under the illusion that I could have a 4-jaw chuck for less than 100 dollars. :p

Before all is said and done, I'ld like to make my finished tool handles out of Western Redwood Cedar, American Walnut, and Maple. All are commonly available here and are beautiful woods to work with. This way, I can reach for red, brown, and white handles, and generally know what I'm grabbing before I see the tool tip.

Charlie69

That's nice man. Shoot... I'm too lazy to make handles for my carbide tools and just use the square bar.

Rockytime

Beautiful, but it's missing a detail ....

A brass or copper ferrule around where the shaft enters the body of the handle would be a great assistance in keeping the handle from splitting in case of excessive force applied to the tool laterally. It's probably not absolutely necessary, but it's something people will look at and comment on ... that it's missing.

On my custom made tool handles (only have 2 prototypes at the moment, turned from poplar), I cut grooves similar to yours, but in them I inlaid some copper wire that I had laying about. The effect was pretty nice. I still haven't finished them yet, because at the time I was under the illusion that I could have a 4-jaw chuck for less than 100 dollars. :p

Before all is said and done, I'ld like to make my finished tool handles out of Western Redwood Cedar, American Walnut, and Maple. All are commonly available here and are beautiful woods to work with. This way, I can reach for red, brown, and white handles, and generally know what I'm grabbing before I see the tool tip.

Hi Ski,
Actually my handle does have a copper ferrule on the end. There is not much difference in the color of the copper and the handle. Just a case of Android photography.

Thank you for your reply.

jttheclockman

Looks real good. What did you use for the shaft and how did you secure it to the handle??? I need to get some round cutters and make a handle for them. Thanks.

Skie_M

I'ld use 1/2" to 3/4" .... possibly 5/8" right in the middle ....

Make a lot of random cuts on the end that will be sunk into the handle, and let it go 5 or 6 inches deep for good strength. Secure with epoxy.

Top Bottom