1st Bowl - Need Suggestions From You Pros!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TomG

TomG

I need some help in a few areas, here we go. By the way I am turning on a Jet Mini with a Barracuda 2 Chuck(for now!! I think I want to move up to a big boy lathe, just need to figure out how to sneak it in the garage without the wife seeing[B)]!!

1. What speed do you turn?

2. I predrilled the hole for the screw then tightned it to the blank, it vibrated off when I turned the lathe on. I was suppose to insert into the chuck and tighten it down right? I found that by using a face plate, spur center (hammered in) and a couple of screws it worked better?

3. Didnt ge the angle correct on the Bowl Chisel. Could not get it to take any material off. Specifics on using this chisel?

I was successful in getting an Olive Blank rough cut on the outside. Just need to work on the base or bottom.

That's it for now.

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I generally turn 6" to 9" bowls at between 800 to 500 RPM.

I typically start off mounting the wood on a face plate and depending on how out of round the wood is when I start, I may use a live center in the tail stock to provide extra support while I rough out the outside of the bowl.

I may cut a tenon on the foot of the bowl, or may glue a sacrifice chunk of hardwood on the food.

If I am not turning green wood, I scrape and sand the outside at this point.

I flip the bowl around and mount the tenon in a chuck and cut the inside.

If I am not turning green wood, I scrape and sand the inside at this point.

Once I have the inside done, I flip it around and using either a jam chuck or cole jaws, clamp the rim and finish the foot.

At this point I either bury it in shavings in a cardboard for a couple months if green or finish it if it is dry.

If it is green and I turned it thick, with the intent to remount it later and true it ip later, then I may put Anchorseal on the end grain before putting it away.

Describing the various cuts and tool post positions would be rather complicated, and I'd probably mess up trying to describe what I do.

Gary Max

Find a local club or someone to help you out. There are very few rules about turning that are written in stone except for a few on safety and those are the first you need.

jtate

Start on GREEN wood. It turns more easily and you can refine your tool technique on usually free wood.

Join a turning group.

Check out books from the library.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I may cut a tenon on the foot of the bowl, or may glue a sacrifice chunk of hardwood on the food.

Now, I don't turn many bowls, but I ALWAYS wait until I am done to add hardwood to the food. (personal preference, I guess)

Lathemaster

Tom

All good advice so far.

Try looking on the AAW Website for local wood turner chapters.

I belong to the Chesapeake Woodturners in Annapolis MD. I have learned more from them in 5 months than in 5 years on my own.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/

Most chapters have regular meetings, mentor programs and usually classes.

Good luck be safe and keep making chips.

Oh yes - one golden rule on lathe speed.

If you are shaking and the lathe is shaking its turning too fast.

Cheers
Mike

PS. I have a Rikon Midi Lathe

Top Bottom