1 1/2" die holder... any interest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Quite a few pen makers are getting in on the group buy for the 14m tap and die sets. Of those folks, over a dozen so far are opting for the larger 1 1/2" dies and a few have contacted me asking if I would make an adapter like the one I made for myself.

In short, no I don't want to make these since cutting through a 2" aluminum rod with a hack saw isn't a task I wish to repeat several times!

I did however call a local machine shop to see if they were interested and I will meet with them tomorrow for their answer and approximate prices and like anything else the price will depend on quantity made.

My question: If the price was right, would anyone be interested in an adapter to fit into the Little Machine Shop die holder to hold the 1 1/2" die OR.... for those who don't yet have a die holder to fit into their tailstock, buy a die holder that can hold both the 1" and 1 1/2" dies as a set!

If interested please let me know before tomorrow so I can gage some interest before meeting with them.

Timebandit

YES..YES..YES,.... I definately want one. My mini metal lathe just does not have the capacity to make one, and i dont like the 1.5 die holders i have found online

Thanks for doing this

Justin

rstought

Passed Away Nov 11, 2016
In Memoriam
George...

Thanks for looking into this. I already have the LMS die holder, so my first preference would be for the adapter, but if there is more interest in a new 1"/1.5" die holder and that is the direction the group is going in, count me in for that, too.

Texatdurango

I forgot to mention that if we can get the whole thing made at a reasonable price, it will have a mt-2 (morse taper 2) shank to fit the majority of lathes.

And YES........ colors are available, especially hot pink! :wink:

Could you imagine a pink tool, you would never misplace it unless of course all your tools were pink, then it would just blend in!

Dave Turner

I don't have any die holder yet, so would be interested in one that could hold both 1 and 1.5" dies and fit in the tailstock. Thanks.

PTownSubbie

George,

I too would be interested. However, I have a LMS 1" holder already. If they would make an adapter, that would be ideal for me.

Curly

Hi George

I can make my own but if the price is right I would buy rather than spend the time making the tooling. :wink: So I am a definite, probably maybe. :rolleyes:

If I do buy I would like mine to be transparent. :tongue:

Dan_F

I already have the two part die holder set from LMS: morse taper with straight shaft, and die holder that slides on the straight shaft. I'm not sure if you are talking about having adaptors made (like yours), or the die holder half that would slide on the LMS shaft/MT. I would prefer the latter, but would go with the adaptor if need be, depending on price. The die holder part wouldn't have to be textured like the LMS is.

If going with the adaptor, I would want it like yours, so that I wouldn't have to remove the smaller die that's already mounted.

Thanks for offering to look into this.

Dan

Last edited:

Texatdurango

OK, I think the above comments give me a good idea that we might be talking at least a dozen units, perhaps more so I'll know how to address the quantity issue tomorrow when I meet with the machinist.

I'll report back with my findings and if the prices look promising I'll start an "official" thread with details.

Sorta looks like I put myself in the position of doing the "group buy" if it materializes!

Curly

Question George.

Are these going to be made of steel only or of aluminium and steel? Aluminium should be hard anodized to improve its wear characteristics.

Texatdurango

Question George.

Are these going to be made of steel only or of aluminium and steel? Aluminium should be hard anodized to improve its wear characteristics.

Gee, I was thinking of hard rock maple for the mt-2 tapered part and mahogany with a CA finish for the hand holding, sliding thingy! :biggrin:

I'll ask about the anodizing.:wink:

Texatdurango

Well not a day for cheerful news I'm afraid! I met back with the machine shop owner this morning and after telling him we could get the 1" holder at Little Machine Sho for $32 he said there was no way he could come close since he would come closer to double that! As far as setting up, even for 12 - 20 pieces he wasn't interested for less than $40 apiece for just the adapters so that trip was unproductive!

Returning home, I called Little Machine Shop and upon speaking with the manager, learned that they are not a machine shop, cannot make custom parts and indeed do get almost all of their items from China! They are simply a retail seller so so much for them. Actually I'm a bit dissapointed since the times I have talked with them in the past they led me to believe that they were indeed a small struggling machine shop making tools for the hobbyist!

I did some googling and called a company in Florida who are indeed a small husband and wife operation and explained what we were wanting to do but he said all his work was done by CNC machines and the setup wasn't worth it for under 50 pieces.

So, with that said, it looks like my search for someone to make 1 1/2" adapters has come to an end and unless some of the tool making forum members want to step up and make a few holders, ya'll will have to buy what is already available from various vendors.

At least I tried!

MarkD

That's a bummer George. I was hoping to hear about a good deal on the Die Holder for both sizes.

Timebandit

Maybe JohnnyCNC can knock something up for us? I know this isnt normally the kind of stuff he does, but i also know he does some custom work, so it might be worth a shot.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the effort George.....!...

..umm, has anyone made Johnny aware of this thread, in case he misses it and should wish to pick up a little custom work..??

Maybe JohnnyCNC can knock something up for us? I know this isnt normally the kind of stuff he does, but i also know he does some custom work, so it might be worth a shot.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
This is who I was thinking about. He does excellent work, if he'd be interested in doing this. However, wouldn't it be better to have him "knock them "OUT" for us?:redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

MarkD

I see that are are some similar MT2 die holders on Ebay which [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]handle 13/16",1" & 1 5/16" & 1 1/2" OD dies selling for $48. Problem is they are in UK so I'm not sure how much shipping would be.
[/FONT]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Had to read that a couple times...duh...now i'm ROTFLMAO :)

This is who I was thinking about. He does excellent work, if he'd be interested in doing this. However, wouldn't it be better to have him "knock them "OUT" for us?:redface::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BigShed

I see that are are some similar MT2 die holders on Ebay which [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]handle 13/16",1" & 1 5/16" & 1 1/2" OD dies selling for $48. Problem is they are in UK so I'm not sure how much shipping would be.
[/FONT]

Could you put up a link to that Ebay item?

Had a look but couldn't find anything like you describe.

Thanks

Top Bottom