Finish for a honey dripper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dplloyd

dplloyd

Made a honey dripper tonight. Not sure what is acceptable for a finish. Turned it out of maple/birch. I have some boiled linseed oil and danish oil. The print is to small on the can and I lost(misplaced) my dime store glasses so any advice is appreciated.:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

You could use walnut oil

From wikipedia
Walnut oil is favoured by some woodworkers as a finish for implements that will come in contact with food, such as cutting boards and wooden bowls. When creating your own oil & wax mixture, walnut oil is a great choice, due to its safety and low rancidity. It should be combined with beeswax in a mixture of 1/3 oil to 2/3 beeswax. [1]

Last edited:

SGM Retired

I use what's called "Butcher Block" stain from Lowes/Home Depot on my platters that food will touch. It states on the label that it is food safe. I'm also a bee Keeper and not sure of bare wood and honey, also walnut oil and people that are allergic to nuts. Just my food for thought.

Mr Vic

A salad bowl finish would also work. A word of caution on walnut oil.....it is made from the Walnut and there are folks that are highly alergic to nuts....clearly mark/label items which come in contact with food as have a walnut finish.

KenBrasier

I make most of my out of Cherry and don't use any finish. On some longer ones I just use Mylands Friction Polish on the portion that won't go into the honey or molasses.

nava1uni

I use bee's wax and it smells good also. I put it on while it it spinning and then just use a soft piece of cloth to melt it into the wood. Nice finish and wood looks nice.

bradh

I went looking for some backup info on my prefered finish here- Sunflower oil. Once again the search engines took me to Russ Fairfield's site:
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/FSOriginal6.html

a quote from the page:
"Any edible non-drying oil can be used as a coating on wood. Non-drying oils that are useful coatings for a salad bowl would be Mineral Oil, Sunflower Oil, any of the vegetable cooking oils, and pressed Walnut Oil. Choose the oil carefully, clean and renew often, because many of the vegetable oils and most cooking oils will turn rancid with time.
My preference is the Sunflower Oil (not to be confused with Safflower Oil) because it does not turn rancid with age, it has a pleasant odor, and it partially dries if I am willing to wait."

Top Bottom