Pen blank squaring jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

I just finished up a tutorial on a pen blank squaring jig used in conjunction with a bench top sander. Below is a picture of the project. To see my free plans click HERE.
6.jpg

Comments are Welcome...

ctubbs

From the single drawing posted, this looks like something that would work well. However by 22:00 hrs CST 01/15/11 the web page still will not work from the listed link. I have been trying to access this since mid afternoon with no results.
Charles

Papo

Its working for me tubbs just went in the site and scroll down to squaring jig click on that link and the tutorial its there.Beautiful I needed this...

Thanx rizaydog
Be Bless

turner.curtis

Thanks for the tutorial. May just be the late hour and lack of sleep lately but wouldn't you also want to insure the bolt is square again 90 degrees out of the first squaring for sanity?

leestoresund

I, too, have tried and been unsuccessful.
I've got the best ISP money can buy. AT&T U-verse. At least that's what they tell me.
Unsuccessful with the link and a direct try.

Lee

IPD_Mrs

The link works great for us as well. Also thank you for such a great step by step explination for the jig. It is much appreciated. Now to get the slop out of my disc sander table and miter channel.

PaulDoug

I still get timed out. Just curious, I'm using Foxfire and have Clearwire as my ISP. Could either of those have anything to do with it?

KenV

Ray --

Nice - Apparently Sketchup -

Critique -- My gear is based on mandrels being 0.246 (D sized drill bit) which is a bit smaller than 1/4 inch. One could use abrasive to knock off a few thousands, or use the end of a mandrel, or use a cutoff butt of a D drill bit.

Anyway -- I want 0.246 rod to match may gear -

Great share -- thanks

ctubbs

I started off with Firefox, switched to IE8, same results still. Used troubleshooter in IE8 and it says the site is either down or overloaded. Can you convert the tutorial to a pdf and post it here? That usually works.
Charles

rizaydog

Ok, I don't know how to add this to the library, or post a pdf file to this site. However, for those that can't get onto my site, I created a pdf file that can be downloaded here. Enjoy...

ctubbs

Thank you that worked beautifully. When I posted pdf files to IAP, I started a thread or any post, went to advanced and under 'manage attachments' chose 'browse' and located the pdf of choice and clicked on it. Once sure of the correct file listed, click upload and the whole thing is here. YMMV but hope not.
Charles

Freethinker

The link works fine for me, but I am curious about something.

The first words are --

"Square the ends of any pen blank regardless of tube diameter."

-- then you show the use of a 1/4" bolt for the jig.

How does a 1/4" inch bolt achieve a snug fit for -- "any pen blank regardless of tube diameter."

??

Boz

I don't get it. What holds the blank firmly in place? Most tubes are larger than 1/4 inch so what keeps the blank from rattling around and making a mess out of things?

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't get it. What holds the blank firmly in place? Most tubes are larger than 1/4 inch so what keeps the blank from rattling around and making a mess out of things?
Simply hold the tube, whatever dia. it might be down flat on the ¼" bolt. Slide in and out touching the rotating disc gently!

scotian12

While I have not used this jig I think it is a good solution to sanding the ends of the barrels. I use the PSI jig and make wooden sleeves ( drill and glue wooden blank to a 7mm tube and turn down to the inside diameter of the larger brass tubes you will be using). This gives better control when sanding the barrel. Darrell Eisner

fernhills

I use the disc sander, but i use the appropriate HF punch size. I use a 1/4 " piece of angle aluminium that i lay against the miter gauge then lay the punch against that. Then i slip the tubed barrel on the punch and slide the barrel to the disc just lightly till square. I can do all diameters of tubes. On the largest tube, like the gent cap i have to use a layer of tape on the largest HF punch for a proper fit. It also works on finished barrels to get rid of c/a buildup on ends, light touch is required. Carl

Top Bottom