lathe chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlmort1980

Ok, I am in the market for a jaw chuck for my lathe. I really dont know too much about them. I am looking for something on the economical side. I dont want to spend a huge amount of money, but something I can do small projects up to small bowls with. Anyone have any input on what I should get or anyone know any sales that are going on? All input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

CUSA has the Nova Midi Chuck on sale for $69. I have used this chuck for years without issue. The midi uses all of the Tecnotool (nova) accessories and the main difference I have found in this chuck and a $200 chuck is this one uses Tommy bars instead of a key. For a $140 savings, I can manage with the bars.

rogerpjr

Woodcraft has the Nova G3 with extra jaws on sale right now. They will also have the Nova Midi on sale with extra jaw sets on sale on Black Friday.

IPD_Mrs

Woodcraft has the Nova G3 with extra jaws on sale right now. They will also have the Nova Midi on sale with extra jaw sets on sale on Black Friday.

This is a good deal, but it is interesting that it does not show on their website. It shows in the flyer on the site but the product listing does not. If you have a local Woodcraft you might check it out.

rogerpjr

The G3 (#150699) is in their current flyer (30 Oct-24 Nov) for $149.99 with three jaw set, but you need to buy the threaded adapter to fit your lathe threads. The Midi (#152569) will be on sale Nov 26 only for $124.98 with six jaw sets and is for 1"-8 threads only.

drGeek

I, too, have the Nova midi chuck. CSUSA has it onsale for $69. Some people think that the tommy bars are quicker and easier than the cranking mechanisms! A superb price for a high quality chuck!!

jlmort1980

Thanks everyone for your input, I was really leaning towards the Nova Midi Chuck as well. However I checked on CSUSA's website and it is showing $99. I thought it was $69 as well but cant find that price anywhere.

rogerpjr

Well if you can wait to go to Woodcraft on the 26th, the extra jaw sets you get will be worth more than the initial price of the chuck alone.

PenMan1

Thanks everyone for your input, I was really leaning towards the Nova Midi Chuck as well. However I checked on CSUSA's website and it is showing $99. I thought it was $69 as well but cant find that price anywhere.

According to the flyer that I received with my order, yesterday, it is still on sale. One note.... This fits the Jet (and many other 1" x 8 lathes). It does not take threaded adapters.

jlmort1980

According to the flyer that I received with my order, yesterday, it is still on sale. One note.... This fits the Jet (and many other 1" x 8 lathes). It does not take threaded adapters.

PenMan,
Can you please explain the "not taking threaded adapters" part? My lathe is an off-brand lathe and had a odd thread size, and have been using an adapter that takes it to a 1" x 8tpi for everything including my mandrel. So will this chuck not work on that adapter then?

nava1uni

PenMan,
Can you please explain the "not taking threaded adapters" part? My lathe is an off-brand lathe and had a odd thread size, and have been using an adapter that takes it to a 1" x 8tpi for everything including my mandrel. So will this chuck not work on that adapter then?

It means that you cannot use an adapter with it unless the adapter will fit into a 1x8.

Top Bottom