calling mredburn and/or others with the rikon bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Robert Taylor

could you please tell me/us more about your rikon 14" bandsaw? been looking and finding mostly good reviews. negatives include base assembly problems (seems minor) problems attaching the fence rail (also minor) and flimsy upper guide support (this one seems more important to me). i rember looking at one in a woodcraft store and thought it was well made and a good buy. now the time has come for me to serious and your input would be helpful. thank you, bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hi Bob, Im not sure how much I can help, I bought mine and it was already assembled. What specifally is supposed to be the problem with the upper guide support? I do know that when its extended close to the table you can flex it back but you have a 13in long lever. My dad is using it to cut 1/8 or thinner slices in 7in wide maple to make his own maple plywood for wood clock parts. I dont use mine a lot for smaller scroll type cutting I have a delta 10in for that. I like it better than the Ridged I have. I gues it will depend a lot on wheter your using it commercially or as a home hobbiest.
I know that hasnt helped much.

Mike

stolicky

Are you referring to the 14" Deluxe? If so, I bought it a year ago during the same WC sale, and it is a really great saw. I primarily use it to cut green wood in prep for turning. I use my little Craftsman 10" bench top saw for cutting small stuff. I have found that I can actually stop the Rikon if I put too much stress on it, but otherwise, I really like it. It was definitely worth buying this setup with the resaw height, cast iron wheels, and size motor than purchasing a lesser priced saw and trying to upgrade everything afterward. The storage in the base is also nice to have.

I actually put the whole thing together myself, plus a mobile base, in a couple of hours (taking my time), and I don't remember any major issues with the base. Warning, it is pretty heavy and awkward to put the saw on top of the base, and your back might not thank you for it, if you try it alone.

nava1uni

I have the regular 14" Rikon and it was not difficult to assemble. I did it by myself and followed the directions and it went together easily. I cut logs, plywood, etc with it. I have never had it stop mid cut or bog down. I have changed the blade for a 1/4" that I use to cut everything and I replaced the top rollers after 1 1/2 years with Carter rollers. I find the storage underneath it nice. I also use a Kreg fence on it with good results. I recommend this saw to anyone looking for a nicely made tool. The customer service from Rikon is great. All of my tools except for my table saw are Rikon.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I had to go look, the upper guide is a square tube but I would not think it flimsy. You couldnt crush it with your hands. I dont see it being a problem. I have worked red Iron and rebar and I wouldnt pick the saw up using the guide bar as a handle but under normal to heavy use I cant imagine crushing it. As a tube the walls are thick enough to be able to have threaded holes in it.

EDIT; I wouldnt let the guide bar issue deter you from buying this saw. I havent heard anyone on this forum mention the quide bar. What is your intended use, Home serious hobby or light commercial duty?
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom