corners jig?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Why waste time cutting the corners off? That's what the lathe is for. If it's just to cut down on the possibilities of chipping or a catch when starting, I just use a belt sander to take the edges off.

PaulDoug

Here are a couple pictures of one I made. It works pretty good. I have only used it a few times.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 412

ribanett

Why waste time cutting the corners off? That's what the lathe is for. If it's just to cut down on the possibilities of chipping or a catch when starting, I just use a belt sander to take the edges off.

What Monty said is a lot faster. I have one of those jigs somewhere, wasted the money on it a couple of years ago.

Sberger

Why? If you cut the corners off, then you will make it much tougher to find the center for drilling. One miscut corner and your perception is off. You buzz them off with the rest of the blank on the lathe anyway. Sounds like a government project idea.

PaulDoug

Why? If you cut the corners off, then you will make it much tougher to find the center for drilling. One miscut corner and your perception is off. You buzz them off with the rest of the blank on the lathe anyway. Sounds like a government project idea.

Well, not here to argue with you, but I think I would mark the center of the blank before cutting... but I agree this kind of jig isn't necessary. I can't remember why I made it to begin with. For some reason it seemed necessary at the time.

PMisiaszek

What prompted the question about a corner-trimming jig is that I've ordered some Tru-stone blanks. and the instructions suggest trimming the corners to reduce the risk of chipping and/or cracking. Trimming corners is not something I'd typically do with a wood blank.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

glycerine

If you have a disc sander, you can just drill the holes, glue in the tubes and then take off the edges on the sander. That's what I do...

Parson

Heat buildup is indeed an issue with trustone... so hit it just a tad on one corner, rotate it, hit it, rotate it, hit it, and so forth until each one is ground down a bit. This way you won't stay on one corner too long and get it too hot.

But I gotta tell you that I grind the crap out of my corners and yeah, it gets hottern' hades but I just keep going. It's never been an issue... no color changes, no tubes coming loose, nothing. Well, I did almost burn my fingers once, but I learned from that lesson :)

Top Bottom