Hello from Washington State

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhall

Hello! I have been lurking for a while on this site and have found so much great information. I have been around wood working for a long time, but never really serious. Then I saw something about pen making and it peaked my curiosity. I have always been fascinated with what a lathe can do, and this seemed a perfect opportunity. Plus, a friend decided to get rid of his Jet 1014 lathe and gave it to me for free. Everything just kind of fell into place for me to make pens. So, here I am! I have made three pens so far. Two out of cedar and one from ipe. Both pieces of wood were scraps from deck projects. Both woods were completely different and both taught me some interesting lessons so far. So, I am on my way!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Welcome Mike. Nice you score a free lathe. Now the money pit will open up before your very eyes as you feed your addiction. Hope to see some of your work.

Old Codger

Great! You Jet 1014 is a great little lathe and will allow you to turn MANY wonderful projects! I certainly would suggest you locate a local wood turning club in your area (there are several!) who will welcome you with open arms and assist you develop your skills and save you LOADS of money and time investing in tools, material and assist you in becoming an experienced and competent woodturner! Regrettably, I've wasted ALOT of time and money without a local club, but youtube and blogs have helped me come along without a local club. Good luck and safe turning to you!

Kendallqn

Welcome. I would second the suggestion that you join a club in your area. There ar several in the Seattle Tacoma metro area. You also have the largest woodcraft store in the world as well and I'm sure someone there could point you in the right direction for both a club and sources for lots of helpful turners.

Fay Prozora

Welcome from Port Angeles, Wa Right across the pond from you and a little northwest on the peninsula. I have been doing pens and other things for about a year and I first started out with scrolling but then got interested in the lathe and turning. Started out with the pens then went to little bird houses and boxes and other small items. Who know,,,, you could end up casting your own blanks. I'm getting into that. Enjoy the forums and let us see some of your pens.. Fay

mhall

It always amazes me how far reaching forums like this can be and how small the internet has made the world. Thank you for all of the welcomes. I have done about 12 slimline pens and I just completed my first European style pen last night, with the tenon. I was really happy with how it turned out. I made it from some lacewood maple.

Attachments

• DSC_4667.jpg
    DSC_4667.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 113

fredabe

Welcome from fellow Washingtonian

Welcome to the forum. You will learn lots here but, as has been said earlier, check out the South Puget Sound Woodturners club that meets at the Fife Community Center on the 3rd Thursday of each month. It's a wonderful club and one of the largest in the area. Check out the award-winning website at SPSWoodturners.org for more information. I've been a club member for many years and have established many great friends through the club.
I live in the Covington area and not far from you. I also work at "the world's largest Woodcraft store" in Seattle as mentioned earlier in a previous post. Come see us and you will be amazed.

mhall

Fredabe, thank you for the information. And I have been to the world's largest Woodcraft and the temptation to spend money, and a lot of money, is very real once you walk into that door!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom