Hello from South Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gus Jr

I am fairly new at turning pens. I have turned about 100 now. I have a question on what type of saw can one use to make the fancy, very small cuts, for hard woods and acrylics? I am cutting on a 10" chop saw, 12" table saw and a smaller Jet band saw, but I need something that can make better very small cuts. Looking to save the cut pieces and my fingers. Thanks for any help I can get.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Welcome from western New York. I can't really help with the saw question as I use a chop saw or bandsaw to cut blanks to size. After drilling and inserting the tube I use a barrel trimmer and home made sanding jig on my lathe for final sizing and squaring.

MikeinSC

A scroll saw would have the smallest blade of anything I can think of.

If you're looking at the segmented pens, most of that is glueups and layering using thin material and creative cuts. Still, others have router jigs for certain cuts like the pool cue pens.

I use a 10" chop saw and a wonky HF bandsaw that kills my soul every time I use it.

Ross

Welcome from Kansas! I have a 10" table saw, 12" band saw and a 12" miter saw. I use all three depending on what I am trying to do. I use push sticks and hold downs consistently. I still have all 10 fingers and plan to keep them! I have found that with a little thought it is possible to make most cuts safely. Keep safe and count your fingers regularly.

TimS124

Welcome aboard!

For trimming pen blanks, I use a $40 dozuki and a bench hook that I made from scraps. Even the tougher blanks like TruStone don't take enough effort to warrant going back to a screaming power tool for such a simple operation. Here's a link to a similar saw (mine was purchased many years ago so no doubt prices and brands have changed but for something this simple, about any brand would be fine). Dozuki Dovetail Saw - - Amazon.com

Top Bottom