Hello! I'm the new girl from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Christy

Hello!

My boyfriend (Qualitypen) and I are just starting out turning pens. So much to learn, but we are very excited to get going.

To start off, tomorrow I am going to build a 10 foot workbench in the garage so we have a dedicated place to work.

It seems we will end up with a ton of different components and parts. Any organization tips out there?

Thanks!
Christy

keithbyrd

Welcome to the Vortex! There are lots of tips in the library - do a search there and you will find lots of info! Looking forward to seeing your pens!

Dan Masshardt

Bushings in one of the drawer sets Kits in the others tools underneath

Welcome!

Attachments

• image-2514922284.jpg
    image-2514922284.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 236

Turned Around

Welcome from Spring.

We can give tips all day long about organization, but it comes down to how much you're planning on doing and what you're comfortable with as far as layout goes.

plano_harry

Hi Christy! Welcome from Plano. If your lathe is going to sit on the bench, I recommend that the centerline not be above your elbow height.

I have attached a couple of pictures of my wood lathe bench to give you some ideas. The bins at the top are tip out/removeable bins from Quantum that hold bushings.

Harry

Attachments

• bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 116
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 117

mlconnelly

Hi Christy,

Welcome from South Carolina. I tend to be a little bit of a neat freak but you can see how I keep things organized. Bushings go in the small drawer cabinet mounted on the pegboard. Each drawer has a number. Immediately below the cabinet is a table. There is a row for each pen listing which drawer the bushings are in and the drill bits required. (I update the table as new pens are added) Drill bits are stored on the peg board in individual capped tubes to protect them. Each tube is labeled by size. Sandpaper is stored in the vertical drawer file to the left organized by grit. Pen kits and blanks are stored in plastic storage bins organized by type. All lathe accessories (centers, chucks, etc.) are stored in a separate drawer cabinet on the pegboard to the right.

Attachments

• shop.jpg
    shop.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 99

Mike Powell

I was screaming through Beaumont on a regular basis for a while going back and forth home, in 2011/12 My wife lived in League City and Im from Texas City. From Valdosta Ga. to League City, is anywhere from 12.5 to 13.5 hours, depending on the traffic I hit in La, on I-10.

Welcome Christy

plano_harry

I had to do a little cleaning before I could take the picture!:biggrin:

Since I perfected Curtis's "Darn near perfect dust collector" I don't have to do as much cleaning:wink:

Harry, do you actually use that lathe or is it just setup for taking photos? :biggrin:

Looks way too clean! :wink:

Top Bottom