Feb/March get together?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reefboy1

Ugh - Just got my son's baseball schedule and he has his first game Saturday morning. Maybe I'll stop by afterwards :(

Art

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Jim, want to bring some cheeses?

As for turning stuff, we usually have a "braggart's" table where you bring recent turnings you want to show and/or coolio tools/stuff you think others might want to see. And, we often have people bring stuff they want to sell as a mini-swap meet. As you've seen in this thread, this time will be much bigger swap since Jay is selling Everything.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg don't know what to bring, what do you guys need? Sodas, juice??

Sounds good, Erik. Mix of diet and regular soda and/or water. Those who have "special tastes" know to bring their own.

Oh, and a chair or two, if you have them. I'm perpetually short of chairs. :wink:

Erik831

Folks just found out I won't be able to make it this saturday due to an unexpected situation that came up. Hopefully I can make it to the next one.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I'm sorry you won't be able to make it, Erik. Hopefully whatever it is turns out to be a good thing for you.

GK

Folks just found out I won't be able to make it this saturday due to an unexpected situation that came up. Hopefully I can make it to the next one.

BMellber

Greg,
I would like to attend the next IPA chapter meeting, but this Saturday is already booked. I live here in Pleasanton and already know some of the membership through BAWA. I'll stay connected through this site and look forward to the next get together. I have some deer antler from Wisconsin I need to distribute to those that want to try turning.
Bill Mellberg, President BAWA

nava1uni

Greg,
I would like to attend the next IPA chapter meeting, but this Saturday is already booked. I live here in Pleasanton and already know some of the membership through BAWA. I'll stay connected through this site and look forward to the next get together. I have some deer antler from Wisconsin I need to distribute to those that want to try turning.

I would like try my hand at some of that antler. Sorry you can't make it, it is a fun group and I always learn something.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg,

Bill, I look forward to seeing you at a future gathering and/or BAWA meeting. I now know of three turners in Pleasanton and one in Dublin. Our own little group!

IBTurning

I will be there Saturday! I too am looking forward to it as well. I'll bring some ham lunchmeat (I need to stay away from spicy stuff) and a desert of some type. I haven't been able to do any turning for about 4-5 weeks since I injured my finger. (In exile). I'm probably still a week away from turning. Larry D. just injured his left index finger too, welcome to the club.

Jim Burr

Banned
Once again, real life intrudes on present desires and I'm scheduled for some OR crap on Saturday...Hmmmm. Greg, if there are some sweet blanks, I'll be coming back through Monday afternoon with cash!! Sorry folks, one of these days:mad:

mharvey

dude....love the box...when is the meet...I am in Tracy and drive through Camp Parks every day....

Mark

Dick Mahany

Question for the get together

Greg,

I'm really looking forward to attend my first meeting this Saturday, it looks like great fun. You mentioned a braggard's table for displaying things.

I have a home made threading jig for turned boxes and a few samples that came from it that may be of interest. My question is, since I found this on the IAP, would this be of any interest or is it too off base since it probably wouldn't be useful for pens ?

BTW, I've spoken to the local weather folks about getting some more of that 70 degree weather for Saturday, but they are not cooperating :).

Dick

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg,

I'm really looking forward to attend my first meeting this Saturday, it looks like great fun. You mentioned a braggard's table for displaying things.

I have a home made threading jig for turned boxes and a few samples that came from it that may be of interest. My question is, since I found this on the IAP, would this be of any interest or is it too off base since it probably wouldn't be useful for pens ?

BTW, I've spoken to the local weather folks about getting some more of that 70 degree weather for Saturday, but they are not cooperating :).

Dick

Dick, that would be very interesting to a majority of us. I think we only have one or two "pen only" turners.

I hope you can get them to listen. If not, I have one propane heater. If others can bring some electric heaters I would prefer that, for breathing reasons

If you need my address, please PM me.
Gk

ldubia

Greg,

Dick

I myself and I assume others would be greatly interested in what you might bring. Can't wait to see it. See you all on Saturday. I too put in an order for nice weather.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Summarizing as best I can:....

Timing:
If you want to help setup, show up around 10am. If you just want to attend, we "formally" start at 11am. Or at least as "formal" as we ever get, which isn't very.

Things to bring: a chair or two if you have them. A heater. Things for the braggart's table (new turnings, cool tools, etc). Remember!: Even though we arrange this mostly through IAP, it definitely is NOT a pen-only shindig. We almost always show off pens but the tutorials/demos are almost always classified as "Other things we make" so feel free to bring anything that you would be willing to show off in a police station.

Attendees:
Me, Jay Fox, Larry Dubia, Larry Brooks, Ken L, Bill Daniels, Dave Ratto, Cindy Navarro, Dick Mahaney (new guy 1), Mark Harvey (maybe, new guy 2), Art M (maybe, late), SloLouie (maybe). Did I miss anyone?

Food stuff:
General menu is sandwiches, salads, snacks. Keeping it easy.
Cindy: Bread and chips
Dick: Italian cold cuts
LarryB: ham slices and a dessert
LarryD: Macaroni Salad
Ken: soda and waters (and I have additional soda and waters)
Me: condiments and additional drinks as necessary.

So, what's missing? Looks like we need lettuce, tomatoes, etc. We also need cheeses. Anything else??

We normally have a "swap meet" too with wood, tools, etc. This time Jay is getting out of the hobby: My garage and trailer and storage bin are full of 1000s of dollars of tools, wood, casting tools, casting supplies, etc. All will be sold at pennies on the dollar. Bring lots of dollars and shopping bags/boxes to put your new garage-clutter in. :bulgy-eyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Last edited:

Dick Mahany

Timing:
If you want to help setup, show up around 10am. If you just want to attend, we "formally" start at 11am. Or at least as "formal" as we ever get, which isn't very.

Things to bring: a chair or two if you have them. A heater. Things for the braggart's table (new turnings, cool tools, etc). Remember!: Even though we arrange this mostly through IAP, it definitely is NOT a pen-only shindig. We almost always show off pens but the tutorials/demos are almost always classified as "Other things we make" so feel free to bring anything that you would be willing to show off in a police station.

Attendees:
Me, Jay Fox, Larry Dubia, Larry Brooks, Ken L, Bill Daniels, Dave Ratto, Cindy Navarro, Dick Mahaney (new guy 1), Mark Harvey (maybe, new guy 2), Art M (maybe, late), SloLouie (maybe). Did I miss anyone?

Food stuff:
General menu is sandwiches, salads, snacks. Keeping it easy.
Cindy: Bread and chips
Dick: Italian cold cuts
LarryB: ham slices and a dessert
LarryD: Macaroni Salad
Ken: soda and waters (and I have additional soda and waters)
Me: condiments and additional drinks as necessary.

So, what's missing? Looks like we need lettuce, tomatoes, etc. We also need cheeses. Anything else??

We normally have a "swap meet" too with wood, tools, etc. This time Jay is getting out of the hobby: My garage and trailer and storage bin are full of 1000s of dollars of tools, wood, casting tools, casting supplies, etc. All will be sold at pennies on the dollar. Bring lots of dollars and shopping bags/boxes to put your new garage-clutter in. :bulgy-eyes:

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow!!

Greg,

I'll have provolone and asagio cheeses with plenty of lettuce (leaf, not head) on my tray if that helps. I'll also bring a chair and I have a heater, but it's a 220V, std 20A NEMA plug. Don't know what kind of power is available. I am really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Last edited:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That was a blast!!

Thank you, everyone, for coming. It was a good time. If you took any pictures please post them up!

Here is the Bubbasville-Bell that I turned as the demo and that Ken got to take home to his lovely wife:

Front-side with flash...
attachment.php

Back-side without flash...
attachment.php

Thank you Jay for donating the wood to make this! If only I knew what kinds it was I'd tell you.

Attachments

• BBanc-Bell-1.jpg
    BBanc-Bell-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 367
  • BBanc-Bell-2.jpg
    BBanc-Bell-2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 621

nava1uni

Greg,
Thank you, once again, for opening your home to all of us for another great get together. I appreciate the bell demonstration and will surely be trying it. It was real nice to meet the new people Dick and Mark and to see everyone else.
Jay shared lots of wonderful wood with all of us and I look forward to making new things with it.
Thank Kim for her hospitality.

IBTurning

Greg,

Had a great time! Thanks for hosting, the demo and all the work you did. It was fun talking to everyone yesterday.

Jay thanks so much for for all the great turning supplies, it will take me most of the morning just to go through it all.

Larry

It was another great meeting. Really enjoyed seeing everybody and meeting new people. Thanks for all the great things Jay, Ryan is thrilled with all the pen blanks and wood. Great demo on threading, made a complex thing look easy. I think I learned more about sharpening watching Greg get ready for his demo on bell making than I knew before. The bell was really interesting to watch. Greg, Brenda said thank very much. She is thrilled with the bell and has already ordered 12 more next Christmas. Hmmm, I still have seam rippers and needle holders and eggs and 2 bowls to finish for her family. Oh well, I will just add them to the list and check things off one at at time.

Again, thanks for all for another great day. It's great people like all of you that make the 5 hour drive worth it.

mharvey

Remaining Stock

Did Jay sell of the blanks...I stil lhave money burning a hole in my pocket...what is this sitename?

Yes...PR for the snakeskin worked...I hope to cast a cobra skin next week...but I have reserves this weekend...and I have been working double to put the blanks I did buy to work...

IBTurning

I probably have most of the blanks from Jay's sale on Saturday. How many are you interested in?

Last edited:

mharvey

Well...I was mostly planning on throwing my cash burning a hole in my pocket for a bulk buy...just to help out...

I may have to give up sleep doing my hobby...

If he has a fire sale...better to spend it on this instead of taking the wife to sushi again...

mharvey

BTW....I need to use a magnet on my latest pen box...starting to warp....what is the lb strength I should use...price is correct...just did not want to need a crowbar to open it and needs to be square...and still wanted it to pull down the warpage..2.1?...3.4?

BTW, I found a few oak trees downed on the freeway...old oak...with huge sizes.....cut to three foot long...some one foot...but two feet around...irregular sizes....I was planning on using it to learn those irregular bowls...I can ping anyone the location...looks like a huge raw stock...for free...it is a good training aide...there is also some dried palm...and pine...

mharvey

almost figured out the cactus...needs more paint in the hole....

Attachments

• 1_DSC03290.jpg
    1_DSC03290.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 111
Top Bottom