September PITH Sign-ups!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

DSCN3865.jpg

As with all IAP activities, the IAP Activity Rules apply to this PITH.

This is a PITH. PITH stands for Pen In The Hat. If we could ever be so lucky to find ourselves in one big room we could have a real PITH. Everyone would put one of their pens into a hat. The hat would be passed among us. Each of us would draw a pen out of the hat to keep as our own. Since we can't all get together in one place we do the next best thing. We take signups.

Signups for the September PITH begin now, in this thread. The signups will remain open until August 31st, at which time I will post here that signups are closed. Once the signups are closed, I will not be able to add anyone to the event, but I will be willing to hold anyone who missed it as a potential fill in for the unlikely and unfortunate instance that someone drops out during the event. Pairings will be posted on September 1st. When I post the listing I will post instructions on initiating contact between the pairings, and I would ask that everyone be in contact by September 7th at the absolute latest. Please be sure to check into the site as soon as you can after the 1st to start things rolling.

The PITH chairperson assigns each participant a number. When the signups close the PITH chairperson uses RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service and randomizes the list of numbers 5 times. After the fifth time the list is copied into a spreadsheet. The PITH chairperson then repeats the process a second time and creates a second list. The second list is copied into the spreadsheet next to the first list. The lists of numbers are then converted into lists of names based on the previous assignment of numbers to names. The results will then be published in a thread. Participants will find their name in the left hand list and make and send a pen to the person opposite them in the right hand list.

If you sign up for this swap you are obligating yourself to complete it. We understand that things happen and something could come up that would prohibit you from completing a pen for this swap. If that should happen please immediately inform your swap partner, the event coordinator (Joe S.) and the Activities Manager (mbroberg). The sooner you let us know the easier it is to find someone to take your place.

The theme for this PITH is… STEAMPUNK! Since there can be some non-parallelisms on the definition of steampunk, we are going with the broadest definition: if you think it's steampunk, it works for this event! An antique finish slimline with wood would be acceptable, however, more effort than that is encouraged. So long as you put your best effort in; almost anything goes. Examples can include but are not limited to: watch part pens, foil blanks, antique finish pen kits, leather blanks, modded kits, distressed hardware, brass parts, other metal parts, gears, screws, nuts, bolts, or any combination of the above! There are plenty of rustic themed pen kits on the market that will give you a great start, and componentless (kitless) creations are welcome.
Before you dismiss this theme as too hard for you as a beginner, take a look at the inspiration post below that contains a few ideas for pen makers of all skill levels!
The main objectives of this PITH are to HAVE FUN and to FOSTER FRIENDSHIPS among members. The IAP is made up of individuals of varying levels of skills, abilities, and resources. There have been instances in the past where some members who participated in a swap felt that the pen they received was not equal to the pen they provided. If the possibility of receiving a pen from someone who does not possess the same level of skill, ability, resources, or definition of steampunk as you will bother you, please do not sign up. We do ask you make your best effort at this pen, that doesn't mean it has to be your GREATEST EVER pen, but that you make your best effort.

Participants will have until October 5th to make and send a pen to their partner. All pens should be IN THE MAIL by October 5th if at all possible. If you cannot get your pen in the mail by the 5th, PLEASE be in contact with your PITH Partner to let them know that there will be a delay.

There is a possibility that you will need to ship the pen you make internationally. Be aware that some countries have custom laws that prohibit wood from being shipped into their country. Please take this into consideration if you get paired with someone from another country. If you absolutely can't ship overseas please let me know.

Post any questions you have here so that the answer can be viewed by all.

Please post in this thread to sign up for this event with the following information:

1. Your IAP Screen Name
2. The country you are in (where your partner will need to ship to)
3. (optional) If you cannot ship to another country.

Joe S.

Steampunk pens are actually pretty easy once you realize something: rough is good! In some cases you may even find yourself roughing things up with 80 grit sandpaper, rather than polishing them up with micromesh. Another thing to note is that "symmetry is (most of the time) the enemy". Smooth can be boring, things protruding out the side of your pen (like screw heads) look pretty cool, as does some wire that coils around the pen.
There are several kits that will give you a head start in steampunk. PSI's Vertex, Spartan, Victorian, Montague, Filibella, Bolt-action, Civil War, "Antique" Slims, Stratus, and probably more that I'm forgetting or haven't noticed the potential in yet are great for tying in your steampunk blank. Most of them already come in antique finishes. If you get one of these in a shiny plating, consider scuffing it up with some sandpaper. You could get a cool effect exposing the brass underneath. To keep it from further losing plating (unless you want it to) you can put some CA over it. Remember, rough is good and a "sloppy" CA job could enhance the effect. Another good kit is the Barron, there is a lot of room to change things out and think outside the kit bag with the replaceable finials and centerbands, it also comes in several finishes.
One thing that I personally like within steampunk is the combination of wood and metal. Brass and aluminum are cheap and easy to work with on a wood lathe or/and a drill press. Leather bits also look good, even if it's just segmented in horizontally at some point. A leather strap would be an interesting addition to a pen!
Etsy and Ebay are potential sources for little parts to use, as is a hardware store or craft store. Imagine all the little parts you could use in a model train! If you are still looking for inspiration, search "steampunk" in the IAP and look around. I believe there is even a library article or two on the subject. Look around with the mindset "all it has to do is stay on a brass tube" and everything suddenly is just begging to be part of your pen. Most Importantly: HAVE FUN!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Can I please add this friendly advise if you send overseas....
Please be realistic when you put a value to your pen for the customs sticker. The recipient will likely be made to pay import tax and duty and sometimes a handling charge as well. I once paid over £100 ( $160 ) to get a pen. It was a nice pen, but it did sting a bit....:wink:

mlconnelly

Looks like a good opportunity to think outside the box and begin learning something new. I have never done one before but here goes....... I'm in.

plantman

:bananen_smilies019: I must be a steam punk !!! I can remember the steam engines going down the tracks near my childhood home. Count me in . Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

I will also ship to the four corners of the earth. How can there be four corners if the earth is round ?????? Jim S

Last edited:

Joe S.

I will also ship to the four corners of the earth. How can there be four corners if the earth is round ?????? Jim S

The earth is in fact a cube. I am curious as to why you will only ship to half of the earth's corners?

Last edited:
Top Bottom