Dec. Pen Swap Sign-ups

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

It's time for another PenSwap.

So here's a little history (for you guys and girls that have been around for a while feel free to skip to the details section). When penturners used to have meetings it was a common practice for everyone to bring a pen and put it in a hat. The hat was then passed around and everyone drew out a pen that they then kept. This was called a PITH (Pen In The Hat). Since we are an online forum, that really isn't possible. So we do the next best thing and use a random number generator to simulate drawing from a hat. Now in a true PITH you would get a pen from one person and send a pen to another person. However for this event we are using the Swap format. You will get apen from the same person you send one to. Now it has been common practice for the PITH / Swaps to have a central theme and this one is no different. The theme for this event is a nod to Landon Smith (aka Hunter-27). When I was running my contests for the SummerExtravaganza I thought about him more than once and how great he was at running contest, BASH events and PITH activities. I think we can all agree that his most remembered event has to be the infamous PINE PITH. So in the same vein the theme for this swap is….construction. I'm thinking plywood, OSB, copper wire, rebar, concrete, steel, etc. It has also been a common practice trade blanks with your pens. So we're going to do some trading too…only not blanks. We're trading Christmas ornaments. Peace on earth, good will toward man and all that good stuff. Now here is the most important part. This is event is open to all levels of penturners and I strongly encourage the newer penturners to participate. One of the main purposes of these types of events is to build the community and camaraderie among the members. So don't feel likeyour pens aren't good enough. Just dothe best you can and have some fun. Signup start now. Just post in this thread. Signups close Nov. 20. (If it's after Nov. 20 and you're reading this and want to participate, PM me. We may be able to work something out. No guarantees). Shortly thereafter I will post the swap list. The list will be generated using arandom number generator. You will then contact your partner and trade info (mailing address, favorite color, names of your date from the sophomore dance, etc.) You will then have until Dec. 20 to get your pen and ornament to them. Now keep in mind we all get busy this time of year and the mail is a little slower than usual so don't wai tuntil the last minute. Now we understandthat things come up. We can deal with them, but communication is critical. Soif for some reason you can't get a pen done or are going to be late, let me and your partner know and we can work through them. I promise I won't cut more than one of your fingers off as punishment! Normal IAP rules apply.

Details
Theme: Construction
Also trading : Ormaments
Pens to Partner: Dec. 20

With that……Let the sign up begin!

EDIT: In regards to shipping, you may have to ship internationally. If you are unwilling to ship internationally I ask that you do not sign up for this event. In the past, turners in the states have been able to request that they only ship domestically. However I don't feel this is fair to our abroad members and this is, after all, an international assoaciation.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ok, count me in please. I'm pretty sure I can fulfill the 'construction' brief and you have my complete agreement re Landon....
I'm also sure I can conjure up a completely inappropriate 'ornament' :)

Is it taken as read that entrants may need to ship internationally?

D.Oliver

Ok, count me in please. I'm pretty sure I can fulfill the 'construction' brief and you have my complete agreement re Landon....
I'm also sure I can conjure up a completely inappropriate 'ornament' :)

Is it taken as read that entrants may need to ship internationally?

You are correct, Sir. I went and edited my original post to add some clarification. Good catch.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Derek has threatened to enter my next contest if I dont sign up so even though its Blackmail I will have to do it.:laugh:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its not about being "Good Enough" its about jumping in and having a great time, challenging yourself to make a great pen. No one will laugh at you or make fun of your pen. The ornament how ever is fair game. I will have to learn how to make ornaments.

hippi

I would like to get in on this but I am on a very limted budget so I could not ship overseas so another on goes by

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lets see construction materials, pvc pipe, counter top materials, concrete, asphalt, dynamite, ......mmmm.... maybe not the dynamite,........... red iron, cherry,maple, hickory, pine, foam, the list is almost endless.

Sandsini

I'm in as well. My first PITH and my first time turning anything other than a pen. I hope the person I am paired with has a sense of humor, because anything outside of my current experience may be laughable...

CrimsonKeel

I'm in as well. My first PITH and my first time turning anything other than a pen. I hope the person I am paired with has a sense of humor, because anything outside of my current experience may be laughable...

IM in also

and he didn't say it had to be a turned ornament. im picturing a steampunk ornament :D

Ed McDonnell

So, I stop by IAP to see what's going on and I notice that I have a Private Message. How exciting!!!

Imagine my [strike] disappointment [/strike] pleasant surprise when I find out that I have received a message from Derek. Well, not really a message...more of a rant that seemed to imply in part that I have never actually made a pen and that I only post photoshopped pictures of other peoples pens that I call my own. His diatribe was laced with taunts daring me to produce a pen and send it to someone to prove that it actually exists. Conveniently he had organized a swap to facilitate this.

If I just agree to participate in the swap under these conditions, who knows what kind of demands / abuse he will heap on me the next time. So, I will agree to participate if Derek meets my terms, which are:

"In addition to me being matched up with a randomly determined member, Derek will agree that he and I will also swap pens (and ornaments should he choose)." If Derek accepts the terms then I am in. Are you man enough Derek? :biggrin:

In an earlier post Derek asked for teaser photos of ornaments. I didn't see anybody post one, so maybe this will break the ice. It's all wood that has been embellished to look like aged copper. The ball is hollow and the whole thing weighs about 3/4 of an ounce. It's 8" long. The ball is a little over 2" diameter. I probably won't be sending one like this for the swap because it likely wouldn't fit in the box I would use for a pen. But maybe something else will.

Ed

Attachments

• DerekTease.jpg
    DerekTease.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 170

jyreene

So, I stop by IAP to see what's going on and I notice that I have a Private Message. How exciting!!! Imagine my disappointment pleasant surprise when I find out that I have received a message from Derek. Well, not really a message...more of a rant that seemed to imply in part that I have never actually made a pen and that I only post photoshopped pictures of other peoples pens that I call my own. His diatribe was laced with taunts daring me to produce a pen and send it to someone to prove that it actually exists. Conveniently he had organized a swap to facilitate this. If I just agree to participate in the swap under these conditions, who knows what kind of demands / abuse he will heap on me the next time. So, I will agree to participate if Derek meets my terms, which are: "In addition to me being matched up with a randomly determined member, Derek will agree that he and I will also swap pens (and ornaments should he choose)." If Derek accepts the terms then I am in. Are you man enough Derek? :biggrin: In an earlier post Derek asked for teaser photos of ornaments. I didn't see anybody post one, so maybe this will break the ice. It's all wood that has been embellished to look like aged copper. The ball is hollow and the whole thing weighs about 3/4 of an ounce. It's 8" long. The ball is a little over 2" diameter. I probably won't be sending one like this for the swap because it likely wouldn't fit in the box I would use for a pen. But maybe something else will. Ed

I quit.

Top Bottom