Cartridge Pen Contest Thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollerbob

This has been my biggest nightmare!!! First the pen competition and then the world!!
0002039F.gif
CATS... GREENEYED CATS......Beware!!! :tongue:

ngeb528

Brand Newbie

Might as well surrender, boys, cause here's my entry. Let the weeping commence.

Attachments

• Cartridge challenge.jpg
    Cartridge challenge.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

workinforwood

Hey...I actually think that's pretty slick work Chuck! Did you cut a casing end open kinda like a flower, stick in a bullet then pound the casing around it? Something pretty odd looking about the end of that pen. Not bad odd, intersting and good odd.

Last edited:

Rollerbob

Ms. Nancy.................I can see some creative juices flowing around this bad boy!!! Well executed and, uh...............I lost my train of thought!?!:biggrin:

Chuck Key

Hey...I actually think that's pretty slick work Chuck! Did you cut a casing end open kinda like a flower, stick in a bullet then pound the casing around it? Something pretty odd looking about the end of that pen. Not bad odd, intersting and good odd.

That end was suppose to look like flames but it turned out looking something like a jewel which is better for the theme of the pen. I did cut the end of a 3/8 hobby store tube to look somewhat like flames then bent the flames inward slightly. I filled the brass tube about half full of red PR, actually cast the whole end, then turned it back down to the brass tube and kind of a bullet shape at the end. Final shapping was done by sanding all the way to the tube.

When casting the tube I tried to siphon the PR to make sure it go up into the tube. I hope I am the last to tell you how awful that stuff tastes. Thats the first time I have actually spit in my shop and on top of that the resin is pink instead of red.:mad: Pink looks more like a jewel anyway.

You may be able to see the casting better in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_DvHmfXJlE

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Does't look like it qualifies to me. I only see about 1/3 of the required first 3/4 of the casing. It will not qualify unless the cap contain at least 2/3 of three quarters. No talking smack until you qualify!!

Same issue with the 300 thing.

Hey Chuck, oh Mr Quoter of the rules, is that a PEN or a PENCIL in this PEN Casing challenge:confused::wink::biggrin:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48788

Last edited:

Sylvanite

Rockets' Red Glare

Here is my entry. It features a Pentel pencil mechanism in an angle-cut cartridge with a hidden clip. The blank is blue-dyed curly maple, engraved with a fireworks design based on "...the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air...". There are 7 red rocket trails, and 6 white starbursts, echoing the seven red and six white stripes in the US flag (for the 13 original states). Each starburst is a different shape, symbolizing freedom of religion.

Therefore, this pencil represents the flag, the national anthem, and the first and second amendments to the Constitution. I hope you like it.

Regards,
Eric

P.S. If anybody wants to make a pen for the contest, but lacks the requisite case/cartridge, drop me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Attachments

• RRG1.jpg
    RRG1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 301
  • RRG2.jpg
    RRG2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 500
  • RRG3.jpg
    RRG3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 324

Chuck Key

Hey Chuck, oh Mr Quoter of the rules, is that a PEN or a PENCIL in this PEN Casing challenge:confused::wink::biggrin:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48788

"The only true rule is that first 3/4" of the casing must be used and it must be a real casing, not a man made on a lathe piece of brass." then there was something about allowing two entries per contestant.

Stop trying to bend the rules in your favor:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rollerbob

Hey Eric, maybe you and me are the only real patriots in this thread. The others........just real good pen makers, huh?:confused::biggrin: Very nice pencil, like the hidden clip, your own design?

Last edited:

THarvey

My Humble Offering

Curly Maple with Red, White and Blue center band.

Bullet nib

30.06 Pen Stand.

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

• 3006 Curly Maple.jpg
    3006 Curly Maple.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 3006 Curly Maple 2.jpg
    3006 Curly Maple 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 214

Sylvanite

Hey Eric, maybe you and me are the only real patriots in this thread. The others........just real good pen makers, huh?:confused::biggrin: Very nice pencil, like the hidden clip, your own design?

Thanks for the compliment. There are many here who's machining and penmaking skills greatly exceed mine. I just wanted to make a thematic entry with some novel aspect.

The hidden clip isn't new. I've been recessing the clip on split cartridge pens for quite a while. I haven't seen them from anybody else yet (which surprises me - they aren't all that difficult). My method is based on Bill Jackman's "Recessed Clip" tutorial on the PMG site http://www.penmakersguild.com/articles/recessedclip.pdf. I've had the angle-cut cartridge in mind for a long time as well, but Rick Herrell made one first. I made mine differently, but Rick deserves credit for pioneering that idea.

One thing I hadn't ever seen before was a pentel pencil with a bullet nib. Chuck fabricated his own nib for this contest; I embedded the pentel nib inside a drilled-out solid copper bullet. Chuck's solution is more elegant, but I think mine is easier (and sneakier).

I'm not much of an artist, but CorelDraw made short work of the fireworks design. I don't often hook up the rotary attachment on my engaver, so the contest gave me another excuse to justify that purchase.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. Even though my design changed a few times along the way, I enjoyed working out the construction and assembly steps. It came together much more smoothly than I expected. Most of my prototypes wind up in the trash but I might just keep this one.

Regards,
Eric

ribanett

May I Offer The Following For Your Consideration

Made from 2 30-06 and FMJ Bullet

Wish I had a clip the same brass color as the cases.

rwbcontest01.jpg

rwbcontest02.jpg

Sylvanite

In your pen photo is lead showing or the sleave?

It's lead. I photographed it that way to show that it's a pencil. The long sleeve (from a Pentel P207) is flush with the tip of the bullet. I used a bullet that had a small hollow-point which served as a pilot hole for the drill bit (I forget what number bit matched the sleeve outside diameter).

Regards,
Eric

bitshird

Larry, I still haven't figured out how on earth you do a knot on a hollow cartridge/ shell casing, that just blows me away, do you fill the cartridge with PR first then cut it? that is a very cool looking pen and a killer knot.

ribanett

Good news people, my second Cartridge Pen entry is almost complete and it NOT a weapon, or should I say not intended as a weapon :) I will post it as soon as it is finished but for now its classified, only my wife and neighbor Dave has seen it and I swore them to secrecy. :cat:

Rollerbob

Ok, this is my final entry. First kitless twist bored into anodized aluminum rod. Did the best I could, lots of labor, fit and finish not so good, camera work needs work, but damn this is fun!! Thank you Jeff for putting this together. Thank you Skip, I stole your clip idea. Anyway, got broad shoulders fire away!!

Attachments

• R,W & D II 001.jpg
    R,W & D II 001.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 274
  • R,W & D II 003.jpg
    R,W & D II 003.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 299
  • R,W & D II 006.jpg
    R,W & D II 006.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 253

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Double 360 Herringbone Dip Pen

360 Herringbone in 30-06 and cap dip pen. Posting quick before the cat gets out of the bag. And PLEASE don't copy me again cat. I don't have too many more ideas.
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Casing 1.jpg
    Casing 1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 798
360 Herringbone in 30-06 and cap dip pen. Posting quick before the cat gets out of the bag. And PLEASE don't copy me again cat. I don't have too many more ideas.

Nice pen BRobbins :eek:, the competition is getting fierce!! Fear not my next entry is like nothing anyone has ever seen. I think Im a genius :biggrin: I will try to have it posted by tomorrow night. :cat:

Rollerbob

Bruce, very creative use of the HB360, but that is another thread!!:biggrin: Just kiddin, ya know? Going to be tough for the other pros!!

ldb2000

My first entry

All right just send me my prize . You loosers will never beat this one .

1_cartridgepenspoof.jpg

Just be glad I kept it simple :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Oh , no cartridges were harmed in the making of this pen :rolleyes::biggrin:

If the pencil is against the rules I have a crystal BIC hiding in a drawer somewhere .

Last edited:

ngeb528

All right just send me my prize . You loosers will never beat this one .

1_cartridgepenspoof.jpg

Just be glad I kept it simple :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Oh , no cartridges were harmed in the making of this pen :rolleyes::biggrin:

If the pencil is against the rules I have a crystal BIC hiding in a drawer somewhere .

Hey! Quit stealing other people's work.:mad::mad::mad:

This is supposed to be about...uh, never mind.:rolleyes:

Mine was a pen, yours is a pencil - Maybe we can resubmit them as a set. Looks like we're an unbeatable team. Can't wait for everyone else to wave the white flags.:biggrin:

ldb2000

Hey! Quit stealing other people's work.:mad::mad::mad:

This is supposed to be about...uh, never mind.:rolleyes:

Mine was a pen, yours is a pencil - Maybe we can resubmit them as a set. Looks like we're an unbeatable team. Can't wait for everyone else to wave the white flags.:biggrin:

I was going to use the crystal BIC but I can't find it . I think it's cowering in a draw somewhere . I was planning this as soon as the contest was announced but I had a project going already and had to get a cartridge so you beat me to posting . Great minds think alike :wink:
This entry was just so I can post to the thread , my real entry is still on the drawing board . I just hope I can find the time to finish it , I know it will BEAT the competition .

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
............. I know it will BEAT the competition .

Only if you have a very big stick, cos you ain't gonna do it with anything you copy:devil::biggrin:

Bruce, do you have to wear gloves when you use that......'thing'???
And it must be DQ'd for the obscene gesture:eek:....this is a family site!!!:biggrin:
First it was the monkey doing something 'bad', now you are giving everyone the finger!!!!! You need medical help............:tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom