More Arrow of Light Awards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

My son is also crossing over to Boy Scouts this month. I made these Arrow of Light plaques for him and the other boys in his den. There are 8 of them. 5 are made from newer growth cherry, and the other 3 (the darker ones) are made from some really old cherry that I acquired years ago. The 3 that are made from the older wood are for the boys who completed all 20 of their activity badges. They also have a special "honor feather" attached to the arrow.

These are all about 5/8" thick, 5.5" x 26". I cut them all on the scroll saw, hand sanded, then finished with pre-cat urethane applied with an airbrush. All in all, it was an enormous amount of work to put these together, but it was for a good cause.

Thanks for looking. Also thanks to Greg Ketell for his pointers.

Attachments

• 001_800x600.jpg
    001_800x600.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • 003_450x600.JPG
    003_450x600.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 7,543
  • 004_450x600.jpg
    004_450x600.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 894
  • 005_800x600.jpg
    005_800x600.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 6,191
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karin Voorhis

That is a great idea and great work with these. I love the concept design adn finished results super nice!!!! they will be proud!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Those look Really nice, you did a great job on them.

You are very welcome!!

You guys keep scaring me, though. I read "my son 'crossed over'" and I'm not thinking scouting. I guess that is why our pack always called it "bridging" over.

GK

jeffnreno

Great looking awards. The awards should be much appreciated by the boys crossing over. I still have mine from when I crossed over and it is no where near as nice as these.

Jeff

jttheclockman

My son is also crossing over to Boy Scouts this month. I made these Arrow of Light plaques for him and the other boys in his den. There are 8 of them. 5 are made from newer growth cherry, and the other 3 (the darker ones) are made from some really old cherry that I acquired years ago. The 3 that are made from the older wood are for the boys who completed all 20 of their activity badges. They also have a special "honor feather" attached to the arrow.

These are all about 5/8" thick, 5.5" x 26". I cut them all on the scroll saw, hand sanded, then finished with pre-cat urethane applied with an airbrush. All in all, it was an enormous amount of work to put these together, but it was for a good cause.

Hello Keith

I like your ideas with the awards. I am not into scouting or anything like that but I am into making clocks. I have been approached a few times by boyscouts moms and they asked me if I had any clocks with the boyscout theme. I had to say no and the only thing I had that could be used was an eagle clock.

The reason for my writing is I was thinking of doing some boy scout and girlscout themed clocks and wanted to use the symbols of the boy scouts and girl scouts, but I am afraid of copyright laws. Do you think this is a possibility or is there someone you could ask??? I do not have any particular designs yet but a few in my mind. Now these would be added to my inventory and sold. Thanks.

jkeithrussell

Hello Keith

I like your ideas with the awards. I am not into scouting or anything like that but I am into making clocks. I have been approached a few times by boyscouts moms and they asked me if I had any clocks with the boyscout theme. I had to say no and the only thing I had that could be used was an eagle clock.

The reason for my writing is I was thinking of doing some boy scout and girlscout themed clocks and wanted to use the symbols of the boy scouts and girl scouts, but I am afraid of copyright laws. Do you think this is a possibility or is there someone you could ask??? I do not have any particular designs yet but a few in my mind. Now these would be added to my inventory and sold. Thanks.

I don't know anything about copyright laws. All I could suggest to you would be to check out the official Boy Scouts of America website and/or do some Google searches for scout/copyright to see what you can find. There are lots of products on the internet that openly use the scouting logos/emblems and do not appear to be officially licensed, but I don't know what assumptions you can fairly draw from that. Almost all of the logos are available for free download as clip art from a variety of websites, but there may be restrictions on using them for commercial purposes. Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

Chasper

I made a batch of those a few years back (my son is now 18). As I remember I made the arrow part of the plaque as a separate piece that hung down on a set of leather laces. I do believe that yours are a good deal better made.

The arrow points look like they have been flint knapped. Did you do that? I'm a flint knapper and have helped a dozen or so boys knap their points for crossover arrows over the years.

Nice work

jkeithrussell

The arrow points look like they have been flint knapped. Did you do that? I'm a flint knapper and have helped a dozen or so boys knap their points for crossover arrows over the years.

I'd like to take credit for the arrows, but I bought them. I will be making another batch of these in 2 years. If I can get started earlier, I will take a stab at making the arrows.

Thanks for the comments.

KenV

Neat!!!

I found the one I made for the youngest (he is a scoutmaster in Phoenix now) and shipped it to him this winter --

J.T. -- BSA is very loose with the use of trademark items for non-profit use, and very stiff about trademark use for commercial purposes. You will need to contact them for licensing info.

Ken the retired scoutmaster and cubmaster

Top Bottom