Label casting seam failures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wpixley

I have been reading all posts and articles about casting label blanks I could find for a few months now and decided to jump in about a month ago.

I have had all the classic fails and have learned from each of them but now find myself stumped and needing some additional help. I am getting good clear bubble free castings, for the most part anyway, but am experiencing a glossy line of what appears to be air along the seams. The issue is random in size and location along the seams. It does not show up until 3-4 hours in the curing process.:confused:

My process is as follows: print inkjet labels (Avery) and allow to cure for 2 days, apply to tube and allow to cure for 2 days, checking each day to ensure seam remains secure to tube, apply thin CA and allow to cure for 2 days, cast in PR using 3 drops MEKP and allow for overnight cure before removing from mold.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated to overcome this potentially last issue to creating acceptable label castings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I used to use thin CA, but I realize that it soaks into the edges of the label paper. I use medium now and get a much better appearance. I also us a colored sharpie on the edge to match the edge as close to he label surface color where it overlaps. I don't wait nearly as long as you do to complete the process. I mix and pour my PR w/ hardener while still pretty thin. I pour into the mold while it sits on my band saw. This way any bubbles (usually) rises to the top.

Wpixley

Thanks Jim. I will give the medium CA a try tomorrow as I am preparing another pair of tubes for casting.
I have incorporated using the sharpie on the label edge from one of your previous answers so I hope it will all turn out as hoped tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the input.

Wpixley

Jim, I just wanted to get back to you and let you know that the medium CA appears to have done the trick. Poured four blanks today and the issue appears to be resolved - no glossy thin line at the seam.:bananen_smilies051::bananen_smilies051:
Thanks for the help!

Skie_M

I like how Jim also mentioned pouring it while it sits on his bandsaw .... the vibration of the running bandsaw helps the bubbles perk out fast, yes? Any piece of running equipment with a gentle vibration should do the trick, though.

Top Bottom