Vacuum Chamber Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russ Hewitt

I am thinking about getting into wood stabilizing as well as Alumilite casting. The research I have done so far is pretty consistent in saying that a vacuum chamber is mandatory for wood stabilizing. Most of the research indicates that a pressure chamber is needed for Alumilite. I have seen just a few mentions that a vacuum chamber could be used for the Alumilite as well. Will it actually work for both? That would be a big cost saver, if so. Thanks for your help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Vacuum and alumilite do not work very well...by the time you get a good vacuum the resin has already set and you will have bubbles. What you can do is set up a pressure pot that can also serve as a vacuum chamber. You will need a couple more fixtures that a regular pressure pot set up so you can close the vac when doing pressure and close the pressure when doing vac. You will not be able to see the bubbles while pulling a vacuum (which I think only provides entertainment if you get bored easily) but you can use one set up for both operations.

This article in the library is a good start.

http://content.penturners.org/library/tools_and_jigs/pressurepot.pdf

BJohn

Eugene is correct Alumilite and vacuum don't mix.

There are plans in the library for making a pressure pot/vacuum chamber combo. I personally like my vacuum chamber to be transparent so I can see how the (cooking process is going) how much air is still coming out of the blanks.

Best of luck

Most paint pots can be adapted to both. It depends on the size of the product you want to stabilize. I have Harbor Freight and if you fix the gasket (I poured a new one with 2 part RTV) it works pretty good. You will have to change the fittings to put in a combo vacuum/pressure gauge and a right angle inside as a air diverter.

Vacuum is rarely a problem, pressure is good to 60PSI, and a little bit of an issue above that

Sabaharr

I'm not just going along with the crowd, I am agreeing. Alumilite and vacuum do not work due to the short time for the cure to start. You can build your own vacuum chamber for about $15 though and spend your big money on the pressure pot and have both.

Top Bottom