Nova comet Ii lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

I looked at this on the web before I bought my delta. I called Woodcraft and got a date when they would be in. Once I went into Woodcraft to check it out in person the Woodcraft guy told me he had to send all the units back because of recall.

That does not mean that this is not a great lathe. It just turned me off to them and I went ahead and bought my Delta. Lots of people on here love their larger Nova lathes but for Midi lathes you usually see people purchase the Delta or Jet models.

If you plan to do anything larger than pens be sure to take note of the 3/4 hp motor. I used to have a lathe that was 3/4 hp and my delta now has a 1 hp motor. You would think that is not a big difference but I certainly noticed when I turned an 8" bowl.

I think that Nova has a good reputation though so I am sure if you had any problems they would make it right. Good luck!

boxerman

Got a e-mail from them they had it listed $399.95 in the e-mail on there website it is listed $454.95. Which price is it?

alamocdc

I haven't used one, but I too saw that. The lathe does have a few things going for it: 1) Good company reputation, 2) Variable speed, 3) 12 inch turning radius, 4) Reverse switch, and 5) Really nice price considering those things above. My Delta 10" lathes are only 1/2hp and have plenty of power even for bowls (not counting the low torques PSI VS conversion as it does appear a bit weak), so 3/4hp should function well enough. If I was in the market to pick up a new 12" lathe, I'd pull the trigger. But that's just me.

PhilRose

I've got one

I purchased a Comet II this past spring to use as a second lathe for demos and such. It has a lot of power for the size, and has been a great addition to the shop. The door to the drive pulleys seems flimsy, but has actually held up very well ... And lots of room to reach in to change things. I would buy one again.

Top Bottom