Collet purchase questions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike D

I apologize if this is a redundant post but here goes.
I just sold a few un-used tools and as an early Christmas present from the wife I am about to purchase a BEALL Collet Chuck for use in my Jet 920N metal.
I have read many of the posts here regarding pros & cons of different collet sets particularly metric Vs standard fractional sets. I have located a seller that is a few miles from my house here in Vancouver Wa. that only has fractional ER-32 sets on hand but he can get ER-32 metric sets. The fractional 18 pc ER-32 set he has on hand is just under $100.00, I would save shipping since I can pick them up at his location.

I couldn't find anything at present from 800watt on E-bay.

My questions are:
1. Would I be better off waiting for the metric set or will the fractional work just as well?
2. Are any of you guys familiar with this seller? (see link bellow)
3. Is this a good buy?

Spring Collets ER32 18 Pcs in Set New | eBay

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I initally bought a fractional set and discovered that it has some gaps in the sizes it covers. I then bought a metric set. The metric set is what I regularly use.

I also have an ER40 chuck for my metal lathe, and bought a metric collet set for it.

I recommend getting a metric set and waiting if need be.

Regards,
Eric

Lenny

I agree with Eric, get the metric if you can.... Then add a 13/16" individual collet and you will have the full capacity!

Texatdurango

I initally bought a fractional set and discovered that it has some gaps in the sizes it covers. I then bought a metric set. The metric set is what I regularly use.

I also have an ER40 chuck for my metal lathe, and bought a metric collet set for it.

I recommend getting a metric set and waiting if need be.

Regards,
Eric
Eric, I am going to have to ask where these gaps are. I've heard this for several years and think it's just a mythe that got started somewhere. I have a fractional set of ER32 collets and have 100% overlapping coverage between every collet. I added two metric collets and one fractional collet above 3/4" size so am good to go.

So, where are the gaps?

Mike, based on what I just said, I would recommend the fractional set until someone can show me where the gaps in coverage are.

Lenny

Perhaps the so called gaps in the fractional collets is due to some sets sold on eBay not including ALL sizes. Just a guess.

PaulDoug

Ya, I can't really understand why there would be a gap. Never really thought about it, but they should overlap just like the metric. I bought metric because I like working with the metric better that the fractions when doing wood working. Once you get use to it, it is easier.

Ed McDonnell

If the fractional collet set is 1/32 spacing then there won't be any gaps. If the fractional set has 1/16+ spacing, then with about .039 range on each collet there will be gaps.

An 18 piece fractional set 7/32 to 3/4 will cover 0.18 - 0.75 with no gaps.

An 18 piece metric set 3mm to 20mm will cover 0.079 - .787 with no gaps.

You have to add 3 additional collets (one on the large end and 2 on the small end) to the fractional set to get the same coverage as the metric set. That could make the metric set a better buy depending on what the pricing of sets are at any given time.

That's my understanding anyway.

Ed

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I would have to agree with the no gaps in the 18 set. I do have a few metric tweeners but that's so I can hand tighten them. There are some dimensions where you really have to tighten hard, but in virtually all cases you can grab the piece. $100 is as good price for 18 as I have seen.

Ed McDonnell

I also have a fractional set and have found no gaps.

Is $100 for 18 a good deal? I paid about $120 from 800watt for my 16 set six years ago!

I got an 18 piece ER32 metric set (3mm - 20mm) for about $80 earlier this year from All Industrial Tool Supply on Ebay. .0002" TIR. Nice set. Shipping was about $10, so $90 total.

Ed

Ed McDonnell

Have a look at my post here http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/collet-chucks-96564/index5.html#post1397140

It shows where the gaps are with the 18 pc sets.

AK

When buying 18 pc collet sets you really need to check the details to see which 18 you are getting.

An 18 pc set that is 7/32 - 3/4 x 1/32 will not have gaps, but it's bottom end will only be 0.18. You'll need to add collets for anything smaller.

An 18 pc set that starts at 3/32 and ranges up to 3/4 will have gaps.

Ed

Texatdurango

It looks like the misunderstanding over the ER32 collet clamping range and overlap between collets is finally brought to light.

The fact is that fractional collets made under the ER32 standard between the 1/16" collet and the 3/4" collet have NO GAPS in clamping coverage.

The Problem is that out of the 25 known ER32 collet sizes I am aware of, some manufacturers choose which ones they will make and some choose not to make all of the collets available. Then you have vendors selling "SETS" which contain whatever they deem appropriate and not all 18 collet sets are the same since there is no "Standard" for a SET.

The solution
is to select carefully which "SET" you plan to buy. Personally I found a set of 21 collets from 1/8" to 3/4" then added a 25/32" and 13/16" so technically I have a 23 piece set :biggrin:

Top Bottom