Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggie182

c6e45be791d9fd7bc0a5281b4daf0827.jpg

f49d9bad98b97d2f9dcdb10bf1c9eef6.jpg

dec3ea724552291db8eb5ac40b90076a.jpg

32c5f1385561f5b6419059c3946be438.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggie182

This will likely be a (slow) work in progress. Tracking info shows the lathe to arrive tomorrow and the rest of the supplies to arrive Saturday.

robutacion

G'day mate,

Congrats and welcome to the IAP family from South Australia.

I see that you are in the right track, in space, working areas and machinery/equipment, sure, there will be other things coming later but, it feels great when we can afford making things the right way, I'm not saying you are rich, not at all, I'm referring to your ability to gather what you think you need and what you will find out you really need, those are normal steps for anyone starting something new for the first time.

First of all, you could not be in a better place to learn and grow, our Library is priceless in information and there are many folks here with lots of experience and skill that are always willing to help so, best of luck to your venture...!

Cheers
George

magpens

Welcome to IAP !!!! . That box full of blanks will keep you busy for a while !!!

Last edited:

jttheclockman

You are doing it right. Take your time and study your layout and set things up for easy use. Nice to work with a clean slate. Look forward to seeing how this progresses. Welcome to the site.

aggie182

Thanks for the kind words. Getting the grinder where I want it will be job 1. I will need to elevate it to use the sharpening jig. A 2x8 or something similar should do but I need to source a small portion of one and not the whole dang thing. I'm going to see what I can find around the house. Truth is, I am a complete idiot with all things mechanical. I own very few power tools, and for good reason. This venture in to pen turning will help me become more hands on with things I hope. I have a lot to learn. I am afraid to rush anything to in hopes to minimize my risk of injury and frustration.

I bought the big box of blanks for $40, shipped. I figured they'd be good cheap practice at 26 cents a piece. Hopefully that will be the case and I can get decent use out of them as well. On the stuff coming Saturday, I have extra sets of tubes as well. I'm hoping to not sacrifice too many actual pen parts for the sake of learning, but I know I will.

swcrawford

From the pictures, it looks like you went with the wolverine sharpening jig (or similar) and 8 inch grinder. I have the same setup and only needed a piece of 3/4" plywood to elevate the grinder. Construction lumber would put it too high I think. Also make sure you have enough room behind the grinder for the movable arm with the tilting platform to get close enough to the grinding wheel. I ended up putting mine on a small cart next to the lathe with drawers underneath for other supplies.

Don't be afraid to move things around. Most people's work space looks nothing like how they initially set things up.

aggie182

From the pictures, it looks like you went with the wolverine sharpening jig (or similar) and 8 inch grinder. I have the same setup and only needed a piece of 3/4" plywood to elevate the grinder. Construction lumber would put it too high I think. Also make sure you have enough room behind the grinder for the movable arm with the tilting platform to get close enough to the grinding wheel. I ended up putting mine on a small cart next to the lathe with drawers underneath for other supplies.

Don't be afraid to move things around. Most people's work space looks nothing like how they initially set things up.

Thanks for the tip on the 3/4" plywood. I appreciate it. I was talking to the wife about getting the stand for the grinder, but I am not sure about that yet. I may mount the grinder on the end of the bench and rearrange some things for standing room. We're in the process of cleaning the garage out as well so space will become a bit more available with time (hopefully!). For now, it is nice to see the pieces of the puzzle starting to arrive. That puzzle is nowhere near together though.

Skie_M

Check local places that do countertops and see if they have some off-cut materials you can use ... a section of melamine coated MDF or particleboard would be nice and flat, even spill resistant. :)

zaqdesigns

Welcome from KC! Very nice shop! I just finished built a 7' long workbench for my shop last weekend. Mine is a slow work in progress as well. Can't wait to fire up my new lathe this weekend and get started on some beauties! :biggrin:

oldtoolsniper

On your grinder. Make sure you read the instructions for the wolverine grinding jig. You are required to have the centerline of the wheel a certain distance from the bench.

In my case I use the raptor set up jigs and they specify 6 1/2" to the center line.

It's a great tool to use once you get it set up. Take the time to set it up right so you don't fight the tool. It will be much easier to learn to sharpen if that's all you are concentrating on.

Make sure that you have the room to insert the long sharpening jig bar all the way into the setup. You don't want to mount it all nice and perfect only to find out the bar hits the wall behind it. It's a long bar.

84ed3f113630348e72863b0c38bc266b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Sure wish it came assembled!!

ea00d6fa35c07e0d15fb00ce9a3a6fcd.jpg

Honestly....it is! :biggrin: Nothing in that picture other than the tool rest is technically required to be on the lathe to make it work.

Welcome and good luck. Watch a ton of YouTube videos.

Hehe, guaranteed it wasn't when he got. That's the same one I have and you have to put it together from the bed up.

Skie_M

Did a good job so far putting it together ... only really missing the handwheel that goes on the back of the headstock, that allows you to easily turn the spindle for indexing and other various purposes.

aggie182

This came in one box. It wasn't fully assembled but mostly so. There are a few pieces I was clueless about but some I have figured out from watching videos. I have a lot of organizing to do after I finish. I am out of town part of the weekend so I may not start turning for a little while. Time will tell.

Top Bottom