Lenght for slimline transmission installation jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I know that people have commented on this previously but my searches came up empty.
I want to make a jig for installing slimline transmissions and I need to know what the correct length should be. The length would be from the tip of the nib to the top of the transmission.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

My approach was to just make an adjustable one by drilling a hole through a piece of plastic (just a scrap piece of rod, but an unused blank or something should b e just as good) and tapping one end for a nylon bolt that can be screwed in or out to adjust the length according to the kit and transmission I'm using.

You could probably go fancy and put a lock nut on the bolt for consistent repeatability if you're making a bunch of the same, but I didn't.

I press it in with a small HF arbor press, I suppose a larger vise, clamp, anything that squeezes it in a reasonably controlled manner would work.

randyrls

I know that people have commented on this previously but my searches came up empty.
I want to make a jig for installing slimline transmissions and I need to know what the correct length should be. The length would be from the tip of the nib to the top of the transmission.

Thanks,

3.95 inches. as always, your-mileage-may-vary.

I don't depend on the measurement. I press in the transmission, test fit the ink, remove the ink, press in a little farther, repeat until point extends the proper amount.

Sylvanite

7mm transmissions vary from mfg to mfg and batch to batch, by as much as 1/10", so a single fixed jig isn't going to seat them all perfectly. The best you can do is make it a bit long, and then creep up on the correct depth by test-fitting the refill. I use a piece of 7mm tube that I've cut to length as a seating guide.

Be aware, however, that there is some variation in refills too. I've also found that most cross-style refills push in a little bit when new, so I routinely push down on the refill until it clicks and check it against others to weed out the short and long ones. Then I seat the transmission just a bit deep. That way, if the customer buys a refill and happens to get a short one, it still extends sufficiently. A long refill can be backed off a little by unscrewing it a half-turn or so.

I hope that helps,
Eric

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Mark: Attached is a picture of one I bought quite some time ago, and as far as I recall, it has never pressed the wrong length. I suppose we could get some wierdo length, or strange threads on a refill, just don't think I've ever had that issue. place a "hard"wood block under the ram of your arbor press, place this device, on the block, on end, under the press, place the tranny in the tube with the writing tip already installed, and place it in the v cutout of this jig and press straight. Bring the press down, so that it presses the tranny into the upper end of the tube until the press comes in contact with the jig. This commercial one is made from, I think, Delrin. but you could make it from hardwood, a acrylic blank, or whatever. It has served me well, it just has not caused me to really "like" doing slims !!!:biggrin: Edit P.S. Forgot to mention, it is 3.937" long or 3 and 15/16 of an inch.

Attachments

• _DSC8099.jpg
    _DSC8099.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

MarkD

Thanks for the information.
I realize I can't totally depend on a fixed size for all, but it should get me in the ball park the majority of the time.
I'm not a real big fan of slims either but I'm getting ready for a show and want to have some less expensive pens and stylus available. Additionally, I can use the jog for bullet pens which use the slimline transmission.

The Penguin

Mark: Attached is a picture of one I bought quite some time ago, and as far as I recall, it has never pressed the wrong length. I suppose we could get some wierdo length, or strange threads on a refill, just don't think I've ever had that issue. place a "hard"wood block under the ram of your arbor press, place this device, on the block, on end, under the press, place the tranny in the tube with the writing tip already installed, and place it in the v cutout of this jig and press straight. Bring the press down, so that it presses the tranny into the upper end of the tube until the press comes in contact with the jig. This commercial one is made from, I think, Delrin. but you could make it from hardwood, a acrylic blank, or whatever. It has served me well, it just has not caused me to really "like" doing slims !!!:biggrin: Edit P.S. Forgot to mention, it is 3.937" long or 3 and 15/16 of an inch.
CSUSA sells that block: Press Block - Woodturners Catalog - Woodworking tools and supplies specializing in woodturning.

Top Bottom