Arbor Press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I understand that many of our members use an arbor press to press pens together. I purchased one and can't figure out how to use it for anything except the top parts of slimline pens. Are there some jigs or fixtures that you have made to enable this press to be used? As you know now my imagination is not the greatest. Thanks for sharing your processes and Jigs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Jim,

If your arbor press is like mine, it has a metal disk in the base that has some notches of different widths. I have seen pictures of a custom fit piece of wood bolted into the gap in the base under this disk, and this would give more room for ram travel. For pressing pen parts, I remove the metal disk, and I use a piece of plywood with a small piece of UHMW plastic on it. So far it gives me the clearance I need. The wood/plastic base are both less than 1/2" thick, otherwise there is not much clearance for a longer blank when pressing fittings.

I also cut a small square of UHMW and taped it with a strong double-faced tape to the ram, to prevent marring of the pen parts.

Finally, for some pens like a cigar, a small wood block with a hole is recommended for supporting the rim of a part during pressing.

One thing I plan to add is a small stand for my arbor press, to lift it so I can see the pressing action better. Also, this would give me better clearance for the arm, which hits my workbench, so I keep it clamped at about its midpoint. I'll try to get a picture of the cigar pen jig I made and post as a follow-up.

Good luck with your press.

Last edited:

PenPal

Jim, I use a bearing press (arbour press) as well. I fixed by gluing a thin pierce of Corian (sample from Corian dealer) under the anvil and also to the base aluminium having discarded the loose base thing
Built a stand mounted on a small table at my eye height I have a sit down bench for turning. I sit on a swivel chair so I am higher than the bench (ever so comfortable). the press I bolted the base aluminium in place through the casting. If you send me a pm I can send you pics of my set up and bearing press etc using your E Mail addy.

Kind regards Peter.

PenPal

Quick pic for now.

Peter.

Attachments

• One section work area.JPG
    One section work area.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 408

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
First, use the holes in the back of the arbor press to bolt it to a piece of plywood or other wood.

Now, remove the metal base (the plate that has the notches). Use the bottom piece of wood as the base and you can push parts together, up to about 7" long.

If that is not clear, say so, I will take a pic.

Ed

Top Bottom