Lathe question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Im new here so im not sure where to post this....I have a Craftsman belt driven lathe and had an idea that I am kicking around and want to know if it could work..So my idea is this ..moving the belt around to change the speed is a pain so i was thinking of leaving the belt on the highest speed and buy a variable speed control ( the kind you use with table routers) and use that to change the speed insted...thoughts , comments???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I'm not sure, but I don't think it's that easy I think you need the right kind of motor do get variable speed and the one that comes with it is probably not it

I'm sure others will chime in who are more knowledgable

frank123

Easiest way would be to use a DC motor and DC motor controller.

Shop around enough on the surplus and used market and it can be done for a hundred bucks or so, lot of people I've known have used treadmill motors and controllers -and they work- but there are other easier options that don't require as much speed reduction (meaning a little pulley on the motor, bit pulley on lathe or a jackshaft arrangement with little pulley/big pulley, little pulley/big pulley for a double reduction using smaller pulleys).

The average small electric AC motor doesn't seem to lend itself well to speed reducing motor controllers in my experience (which is, of course, limited to my experience with it. There may be arrangements that work fine that I haven't tried).

2 Saw

How is your motor mounted my Craftsman lathe was changed over by my wifes grandfather to have a hinge mounted motor that swings away from the lathe and the weight of the motor is all that is needed for traction but to change speeds you just raise the motor and switch pullies I also put the same set up on my old Atlas lathe.
If any ? P.M. me.
Kerry

Alex D

I'll just throw in my $.02. I have an older delta lathe that is also belt-driven and wanted variable speed.

My solution was to find a 3-phase motor (most motors you can plug into your wall are single phase) and run it using a variable frequency drive.

It is usually quite easy to find a cheap used 3-phase motor and they are very long-lived compared to their single-phase brethren. A VFD for a 1 horse or smaller motor will run about $100. You could probably be all in for about $200.

One of the benefits of using a 3-phase and vectorless VFD is that you get pretty much the same torque across all the speeds.

I love my set up now, variable speed, forward, reverse, plenty of torque, all thanks to the 3-phase VFD combination.

It's a bit of an investement in time and money, but depending on the quality of your lathe, it can make a huge difference.

Good luck!
Alex

Dan Masshardt

One thought for consideration is use your lathe as is and then upgrade to a different lathe.

If yours is the tube style with MT1 tapers, many seem to feel that it's not the best, however others use them and like them.

SteveG

IF your Craftsman lathe is the single tube "bed" type, AND you ever decide to upgrade, you might want to do as I did. I converted it to a permanent use buffer station with (standard lathe) multi-speeds. What is nice about this style of lathe is that you can cut the tube down to just the length needed for buffing and mount the buffs on a shaft between centers. It has worked out real well for me on a lathe I was given...all rusted, etc.,but running great.

IF your Craftsman lathe is the single tube "bed" type, AND you ever decide to upgrade, you might want to do as I did. I converted it to a permanent use buffer station with (standard lathe) multi-speeds. What is nice about this style of lathe is that you can cut the tube down to just the length needed for buffing and mount the buffs on a shaft between centers. It has worked out real well for me on a lathe I was given...all rusted, etc.,but running great.

I'm not sure what is ment by "tube" type ..mine was all rusted too but I tore it down and completely rebuilt it .. I would post some pics but im not sure how too

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Instead of a flat bed lathe it is a single pipe that the tool rest and tail stock slide on .
images

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
And this is brought up every so often. There is a reason not every one is doing it. It does not work on Ac motors. you would need an ad/dc motor or a dc motor for it to work. There is a reason not every one is doing it.

Jim Burr

Banned
As an alternative Justin, if you only turn pens, think about just leaving your lathe on speed and have fun with that! Now if you turn other stuff...the suggestion probably wouldn't work...no one wants to see a bowl orbiting at 3,000rpm!!

Dan Masshardt

As an alternative Justin, if you only turn pens, think about just leaving your lathe on speed and have fun with that! Now if you turn other stuff...the suggestion probably wouldn't work...no one wants to see a bowl orbiting at 3,000rpm!!

I left my old lathe at one speed and I'm amazed at how well I did.

Top Bottom