$4 Pen Press Rebuild

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

After five years and hundreds of pens, my pen press broke. So, I salvaged a few parts from old press. Added $4 slide clamp from Harbor Freight. Cheater bar is 1/2 copper pipe left over from old project. Turned handle out of mystery wood from a pallet that came from South America. Plywood base out of my scrap bin.

Beats spending $50 for new pen press.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Rebuilt Pen Press.jpg
    Rebuilt Pen Press.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,098
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hehndc

Tim:

My homemade press, made from some re-purposed harbor freight thing (grease gun?) gave up the ghost. Now, I have a better idea.

Thanks for the pic and idea.

Steve

THarvey

Tim:

My homemade press, made from some re-purposed harbor freight thing (grease gun?) gave up the ghost. Now, I have a better idea.

Thanks for the pic and idea.

Steve

If you will watch the Harbor Freight ads, they put these slide clamps and toggle clamps on 50% sales about two times per year. I usually buy a bunch and store them away for projects like this.

rjwolfe3

Tim, do you know the part number for that slide clamp? I looked at Harbor Freight but could not find it by that name, although I did find a bunch of neat stuff!

THarvey

Tim, do you know the part number for that slide clamp? I looked at Harbor Freight but could not find it by that name, although I did find a bunch of neat stuff!

Sorry, I don't. I don't find them on line, either. My Harbor Freight store has these in bins next to the toggle clamps. They usually run the same price as the toggle clamps for similar pressure.

This is the 500lb clamp. The bolt pattern matching the slide on my previous pen press. The 200lb version might work, but it is a lot smaller and lower to the surface.

If I find a reference I will post it.

Top Bottom